Discount Window Policy, Banking Crises, and Indeterminacy of Equilibrium
We examine optimal discount window policy in an economy with a linear investment technology and aggregate liquidity shocks. Unrestricted lending at the discount window prevents large shocks from causing banking crises, but leads to indeterminacy of stationary equilibrium. We show how a policy of offering discount-window loans at an above-market interest rate generates a unique stationary monetary equilibrium. Under such a policy, banking crises occur with positive probability in equilibrium, but a proper choice of interest rate can make the welfare loss due to these crises arbitrarily small. We then modify the model by introducing diminishing returns to investment and show that, in this case, the optimal policy may eliminate banking crises entirely.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Camino a Sta. Teresa 930, Mexico, D.F. 10700|
Phone: +525 628 4197
Fax: +525 628 4058
Web page: http://cie.itam.mx/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaetano Antinolfi & Elisabeth Huybens & Todd Keister, 2000.
"Monetary Stability and Liquidity Crises: The Role of the Lender of Last Resort,"
0001, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Antinolfi, Gaetano & Huybens, Elisabeth & Keister, Todd, 2001. "Monetary Stability and Liquidity Crises: The Role of the Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 99(1-2), pages 187-219, July.
- Gaetano Antinolfi & Elisabeth Huybens, 2000. "Monetary Stability and Liquidity Crises: The Role of the Lender of Last Resort," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1156, Econometric Society.
- Champ, B. & Smith, B.D., 1991.
"Currency Elasticity and Banking Panics: theory and Evidence,"
University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers
9109, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Bruce Champ & Bruce D. Smith & Stephen D. Williamson, 1996. "Currency Elasticity and Banking Panics: Theory and Evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 828-64, November.
- Champ, B. & Snith, B.D. & Williamson, D.S., 1991. "Currency Elasticity and Banking Panics: Theory and Evidence," RCER Working Papers 292, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Stacey L. Schreft & Bruce D. Smith, 2002.
"The conduct of monetary policy with a shrinking stock of government debt,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 848-886.
- Schreft, Stacey L & Smith, Bruce D, 2002. "The Conduct of Monetary Policy with a Shrinking Stock of Government Debt," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 848-82, August.
- Stacey L. Schreft & Bruce D. Smith, 2001. "The conduct of monetary policy with a shrinking stock of government debt," Research Working Paper RWP 01-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1995.
"Discount Window Lending and Deposit Insurance,"
9504001, EconWPA, revised 18 Apr 1995.
- Freeman, Scott, 1999. "Rediscounting under aggregate risk," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 197-216, February.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Bruce D. Smith, 2002. "Monetary Policy, Banking Crises, and the Friedman Rule," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 128-134, May.
- John H. Boyd & Pedro Gomis & Sungkyu Kwak & Bruce D. Smith, 2000.
"A User's Guide to Banking Crises,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
archive-36, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1982. "The Real-Bills Doctrine versus the Quantity Theory: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1212-36, December.
- Freeman, Scott, 1996. "The Payments System, Liquidity, and Rediscounting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1126-38, December.
- Townsend, Robert M, 1987. "Economic Organization with Limited Communication," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 954-71, December.
- Huberto M. Ennis & Todd Keister, 2003.
"Economic growth, liquidity, and bank runs,"
03-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Peck, James & Shell, Karl, 2001.
"Equilibrium Bank Runs,"
01-10r, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cie:wpaper:0305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diego Dominguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.