Private Money and Reserve Management in a Random-Matching Model
We introduce an element of centralization in a random matching model of money that allows for private liabilities to circulate as media of exchange. Some agents, which we identify as banks, are endowed with the technology to issue notes and to record-keep reserves with a central clearinghouse, which we call the treasury. The liabilities are redeemed according to a stochastic process that depends on the endogenous trades. The treasury removes the banking technology from banks that are not able to meet the redemptions in a given period. This, together with the market incompleteness, gives rise to a reserve management problem for the issuing banks. We demonstrate that ``sufficiently patient'' banks will concentrate on improving their reserve position instead of pursuing additional issue. The model provides a first attempt to reconcile limited note issue with optimizing behavior by banks during the National Banking Era.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shouyong Shi, 1995.
"Credit and Money in a Search Model with Divisible Commodities,"
917, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shouyong Shi, 1996. "Credit and Money in a Search Model with Divisible Commodities," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(4), pages 627-652.
- Edward J. Green, 1996.
"Money and Debt in the Structure of Payments,"
9609002, EconWPA, revised 09 Sep 1996.
- Green, Edward-J, 1997. "Money and Debt in the Structure of Payments," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 15(1), pages 63-87, May.
- Edward J. Green, 1999. "Money and debt in the structure of payments," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 13-29.
- Peter Diamond, 1990. "Pairwise Credit in Search Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 285-319.
- Champ, Bruce & Wallace, Neil & Weber, Warren E., 1994.
"Interest rates under the U.S. national banking system,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 343-358, December.
- Bruce Champ & Neil Wallace & Warren Weber, 1993. "Interest Rates Under the U.S. National Banking System," Economic History 9310001, EconWPA.
- Bruce A. Champ & Neil Wallace & Warren E. Weber, 1993. "Interest rates under the U.S. national banking system," Staff Report 161, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Neil Wallace, 1991.
"Existence of Steady States with Positive Consumption in the Kiyotaki-Wright Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(5), pages 901-916.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Neil Wallace, 1991. "Existence of steady states with positive consumption in the Kiyotaki-Wright model," Working Papers 428, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hanson, John R, II, 1979. "Money in the Colonial American Economy: An Extension," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(2), pages 281-86, April.
- Scott Freeman, 1993.
"Clearinghouse banks and banknote over-issue,"
9326, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- N/A, 1996. "Note:," Foreign Trade Review, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, vol. 31(1-2), pages 1-1, January.
- Rolnick, Arthur J. & Weber, Warren E., 1984. "The causes of free bank failures : A detailed examination," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 267-291, November.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Williamson, S.D., 1997.
"Credit in a Random Matching Model with Private Information,"
97-03, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Stephen D. Williamson, 1999. "Credit in a Random Matching Model with Private Information," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 36-64, January.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Stephen D. Williamson, 1997. "Credit in a Random Matching Model With Private Information," Game Theory and Information 9705005, EconWPA.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1974. "The Competitive Supply of Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 6(4), pages 423-53, November.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
- King, Robert G., 1983. "On the economics of private money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 127-158.
- Holmstrom, B & Tirole, J, 1996.
"Private and Public Supply of Liquidity,"
96-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1982. "The Real-Bills Doctrine versus the Quantity Theory: A Reconsideration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1212-36, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:v:107:y:1999:i:5:p:929-945. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.