Health Care Provider Choice
In order to achieve an ‘optimal health system’ health policies should not only be focused on the supply of health care, but also take cognisance of the demand for health care. Studies of health care demand in South Africa are scarce due to considerable data limitations. This analysis attempts to fill this gap by combining two data sets (specifically, the GHS 2004 and IES/LFS 2000) in order to be able to utilize the wealth of information regarding health care utilization in the General Household Survey. The aim is to inform and encourage debate on how to incorporate demand side considerations in order to arrive at improved public health care in South Africa.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag X1, 7602 Matieland|
Fax: +27 (0)21-808 2409
Web page: http://www.ekon.sun.ac.za
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demombynes, Gabriel & Elbers, Chris & Lanjouw, Jenny & Lanjouw, Peter & Mistiaen, Johan & Ozler, Berk, 2002. "Producing an Improved Geographic Profile of Poverty: Methodology and Evidence from Three Developing Countries," WIDER Working Paper Series 039, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Magnus Lindelow, 2005. "The Utilisation of Curative Healthcare in Mozambique: Does Income Matter?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 14(3), pages 435-482, September.
- Akin, John S. & Guilkey, David K. & Hazel?Denton, E., 1995. "Quality of services and demand for health care in Nigeria: A multinomial probit estimation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 1527-1537, June.
- Mwabu, Germano M., 1986. "Health care decisions at the household level: Results of a rural health survey in Kenya," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 315-319, January.
- Mocan, H. Naci & Tekin, Erdal & Zax, Jeffrey S., 2004.
"The Demand for Medical Care in Urban China,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 289-304, February.
- H. Naci Mocan & Erdal Tekin & Jeffrey S. Zax, 2000. "The Demand for Medical Care in Urban China," NBER Working Papers 7673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger & Garance Genicot, 2003. "The Demand for Health Care Services in Rural Tanzania," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(2), pages 241-260, 05. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)