Information Gathering Externalities in Product Markets
We consider the trade-offs in the choice between depth (a narrow high quality position) and breadth (a wide low quality range). In particular, the extent of depth or breadth in a market can be non-monotonic in the strength of competition.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (212) 998-0860
Fax: (212) 995-4218
Web page: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexei Alexandrov, 2008.
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 67-95, 03.
- Neven, D. & Thisse, J-F., 1989. "On Quality And Variety Competition," CORE Discussion Papers 1989020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Manez, J.A. & Waterson, M., 2001. "Multiproduct Firms and Product Differentiation: a Survey," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 594, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Luis Garicano & Thomas N. Hubbard, 2003. "Firms' Boundaries and the Division of Labor: Empirical Strategies," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(2-3), pages 495-502, 04/05.
- Smith, Adam, 1776. "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number smith1776.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ste:nystbu:07-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Viveca Licata)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.