The inequality effects of a dual income tax system
The overall inequality effects of a dual income tax (DIT) system, combining progressive taxation of labor income with proportional taxation of income from capital, are investigated. Simple examples show that correlations between distributions of wage and capital income, the degree of tax rate differentiation in the DIT, and reranking of tax-payers can be expected to complicate the analysis. We trace out what can be said definitively, obtaining sufficient conditions for unambiguous inequality reduction and identifying the nature of the implicit redistribution between labor and capital income which is involved, with the help of Norwegian income tax data.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valentino Dardanoni & Peter Lambert, 2001.
"Horizontal inequity comparisons,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 799-816.
- Fellman, J, 1976. "The Effect of Transformations on Lorenz Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 823-24, July.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1982. "Inequality Decomposition by Factor Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 193-211, January.
- Jakobsson, Ulf, 1976. "On the measurement of the degree of progression," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1-2), pages 161-168.
- Bernd Genser & Andreas Reutter, 2007.
"Moving Towards Dual Income Taxation in Europe,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0717, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Thor O. Thoresen & Annette Alstadsæter, 2010.
"Shifts in Organizational Form under a Dual Income Tax System,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 66(4), pages 384-418, December.
- Thor Olav Thoresen & Annette Alstadsæter, 2008. "Shifts in Organizational Form under a Dual Income Tax System," CESifo Working Paper Series 2273, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thor O. Thoresen & Annette Alstadsæter, 2008. "Shifts in organizational form under a dual income tax system," Discussion Papers 529, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Rietveld, Piet, 1990. "Multidimensional inequality comparisons : On aggravation and mitigation of inequalities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 187-192, February.
- Pfahler, Wilhelm, 1990. "Redistributive Effect of Income Taxation: Decomposing Tax Base and Tax Rates Effects," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 121-29, April.
- Erlend E. Bø & Peter J. Lambert & Thor O. Thoresen, 2011.
"Horizontal inequity under a dual income tax system: principles and measurement,"
647, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Erlend Bø & Peter Lambert & Thor Thoresen, 2012. "Horizontal inequity under a dual income tax system: principles and measurement," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(5), pages 625-640, October.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "The Impact of Income Components on the Distribution of Family Incomes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 311-26, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:663. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.