Capital Gains Taxation And Progressivity
This paper measures the local and effective progression of personal income tax, considering jointly the taxation of regular income and capital gains. The study demonstrates that, if capital gains increase more than proportionally compared to individuals’ regular income, the combined tax may be locally and effectively more progressive than the tax which is applied solely to regular income; however, post-tax income inequality will be lower in the latter case. The results obtained are used to design a flat tax to substitute the current personal income tax, obtaining the parameters –tax rate and deduction from the tax base– for that tax.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Cardenal Herrera Oria, 378, 28035 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fellman, J, 1976. "The Effect of Transformations on Lorenz Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 823-824, July.
- Anna Ivanova & Michael Keen & Alexander Klemm, 2005.
"The Russian ‘flat tax’ reform,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(43), pages 397-444, July.
- Michael Keen & Alexander D Klemm & Anna Ivanova, 2005. "The Russian Flat Tax Reform," IMF Working Papers 05/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Miguel-Angel López García, 2005. "La vivienda y la reforma fiscal de 1998: un ejercicio de simulación," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 175(4), pages 123-147, december.
- Miguel Ángel López García, "undated". "La Vivienda Y La Reforma Fiscal De 1998: Un Ejercicio De Simulación(*)," Working Papers 7-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Ebert, Udo & Lambert, Peter J, 1999. "Combined Income Taxes and Tax-Benefit Systems," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(231), pages 397-404, December.
- José María Arranz & Carlos García-Serrano, "undated". "¿Qué Ha Sucedido Con La Estabilidad Del Empleo En España?. Un Análisis Desagregado Con Datos De La Epa: 1987-2003(*)," Working Papers 4-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- José María Arranz, "undated". "La Seguridad Del Empleo En España: Evidencia Con Datos De La Epa (1987-2003)," Working Papers 5-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Rietveld, Piet, 1990. "Multidimensional inequality comparisons : On aggravation and mitigation of inequalities," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 187-192, February.
- Fidel Picos Sánchez, "undated". "Modelo Dual De Irpf Y Equidad: Un Nuevo Enfoque Teórico Y Su Aplicación Al Caso Español," Working Papers 8-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Jakobsson, Ulf, 1976. "On the measurement of the degree of progression," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1-2), pages 161-168. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:wpaper:y:2006:i:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.