Multidimensional Indices Of Housing Deprivation With Application To Spain
. The main aim of this paper is to define a multidimensional index of housing deprivation and identify the main determining characteristics of this phenomenon, using Spain as a point of reference. The paper grounds on the notion of housing deprivation as an insufficiency in the basic functioning of this commodity and uses a latent variable model that attempts to overcome some of the traditional difficulties encountered in multidimensional deprivation studies. The construction of a latent structure model has allowed a set of partial housing deprivation indices to be grouped together under a single index. It has also enabled each individual to be assigned to a different class depending on the level and type of deprivation. The results show that the vector of observed variables (having hot running water, heating, a leaky roof, damp walls or floor, rot in window frames or floors, and overcrowding) and the correlations among such variables can be explained by a single latent variable. Results also show that housing deprivation is not distributed homogenously among the population..
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ief.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Desai, Meghnad & Shah, Anup, 1988. "An Econometric Approach to the Measurement of Poverty," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(3), pages 505-22, September.
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- José María Arranz & Carlos García-Serrano, . "¿Qué Ha Sucedido Con La Estabilidad Del Empleo En España?. Un Análisis Desagregado Con Datos De La Epa: 1987-2003(*)," Working Papers 4-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2003.
"The Measurement of Social Exclusion,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
364, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Miguel Ángel López García, .
"La Vivienda Y La Reforma Fiscal De 1998: Un Ejercicio De Simulación(*),"
7-04 Classification-JEL :, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Miguel-Angel López García, 2005. "La vivienda y la reforma fiscal de 1998: un ejercicio de simulación," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 175(4), pages 123-147, december.
- Indranil Dutta & Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu, 2003. "On Measuring Deprivation and the Standard of Living in a Multidimensional Framework on the Basis of Aggregate Data," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(278), pages 197-221, 05.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Böhnke, Petra & Delhey, Jan, 1999. "Poverty in a multidimensional perspective: Great Britain and Germany in comparison," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Social Structure and Social Reporting FS III 99-413, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Raquel Arévalo-Tomé, 1999. "Construcción de un índice de calidad de la vivienda," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 23(2), pages 267-280, May.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2000-42 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hpe:wpaper:y:2004:i:12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Belén Miquel Burgos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.