Duration and Persistence in Multidimensional Deprivation: Methodology and Australian Application
This paper extends the recent literature on static multidimensional deprivation to propose dynamic deprivation measures that incorporate both the persistence and duration of deprivation across multiple dimensions. The paper then illustrates the usefulness of the extension by applying it to Australian panel data for the recent period, 2001-2008. The empirical application exploits the subgroup decomposability of the deprivation measures to identify the subgroups that are more deprived than others. The proposed measure is also decomposable by dimensions and is used to identify the dimensions where deprivation is more persistent. The comparison between the subgroups shows that the divide between homeowners and non-homeowners is one of the sharpest, with the latter suffering much more deprivation than the former. The results are robust to alternative schemes for weighting and aggregating the dimensions as well as to the choice of model parameters.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walter Bossert & Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D’Ambrosio, 2008.
"Poverty and Time,"
87, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2008. "Poverty and Time," Cahiers de recherche 2008-05, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2008. "Poverty and Time," Cahiers de recherche 05-2008, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bossert, Walter & Chakravarty, Satya R. & d’Ambrosio, Conchita, 2010. "Poverty and Time," Working Paper Series wp2010-74, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007.
"Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2007-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007. "Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2007-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita & PERAGINE, Vito, 2004.
"Deprivation and Social Exclusion,"
Cahiers de recherche
2004-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Munch, Jakob Roland & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, .
"Are Home Owners Really More Unemployed?,"
Economics Working Papers
2003-15, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Munch, Jakob R. & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2003. "Are Home Owners Really More Unemployed?," IZA Discussion Papers 872, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Svarer & Michael Rosholm & Jacob Roland Munch, 2003. "Are Home Owners Really more Unemployed?," CAM Working Papers 2003-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Nicole Watson & Mark Wooden, 2004. "The HILDA Survey Four Years On," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 37(3), pages 343-349, 09.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & Jesús Pérez‐Mayo, 2011.
"Income Poverty And Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons From Cross‐Regional Analysis,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(1), pages 40-60, 03.
- Luis Ayala & Antonio Jurado & JesÃºs PÃ©rez-Mayo, 2009. "Income Poverty and Multidimensional Deprivation: Lessons from Cross-Regional Analysis," Working Papers 106, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- repec:bla:restud:v:54:y:1987:i:3:p:485-97 is not listed on IDEAS
- Satya Chakravarty & Amita Majumder, 2005. "Measuring Human Poverty: A Generalized Index and an Application Using Basic Dimensions of Life and Some Anthropometric Indicators," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 275-299.
- Rosanna Scutella & Roger Wilkins & Weiping Kostenko, 2009. "Estimates of Poverty and Social Exclusion in Australia: A Multidimensional Approach," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2009n26, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Peter Saunders & Bruce Bradbury, 2006. "Monitoring Trends in Poverty and Income Distribution: Data, Methodology and Measurement," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(258), pages 341-364, 09.
- Carlos Gradín & Coral Del Río & Olga Cantó, 2012.
"Measuring Poverty Accounting For Time,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(2), pages 330-354, 06.
- Carlos Gradín & Coral del Río & Olga Cantó, 2010. "Measuring poverty accounting for time," Working Papers 1005, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Carlos Gradín & Coral del Río & Olga Cantó, 2010. "Measuring poverty accounting for time," Working Papers 169, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray & Ma. Rebecca Valenzuela, 2010.
"Evaluating the Distributional Implications of Price Movements: Methodology, Application and Australian Evidence,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(274), pages 352-366, 09.
- Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray & Rebecca Valenzuela, 2008. "Evaluating The Distributional Implications Of Price Movements: Methodology, Application And Australian Evidence," Monash Economics Working Papers 33/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2006.
"The Measurement Of Social Exclusion,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(3), pages 377-398, 09.
- Saul, S., 1992. "An Illfare Approach to the Measurement of Unemployment," Papers e9204, Western Sydney - School of Business And Technology.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mos:moswps:2011-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.