Conditions for the most robust multidimensional poverty comparisons using counting measures and ordinal variables
A natural concern with multivariate poverty measures, as well as with other composite indices, is the robustness of their ordinal comparisons to changes in the indices’ parameter values. Applying multivariate stochastic dominance techniques, this paper derives the distributional conditions under which a multidimensional poverty comparison based on the popular counting measures, and ordinal variables, is fully robust to any values of the indices.parameters. As the paper shows, the conditions are relevant to most of the multidimensional poverty indices in the literature, including the Alkire-Foster family, upon which the UNDP.s "Multidimensional Poverty Index" (MPI) is based. The conditions are illustrated with an example from the EU-SILC dataset.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Yves Duclos & David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2006.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 943-968, October.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Felipe Lopez-Calva & Maria Ana Lugo & Maria Emma Santos, 2009.
"Income and beyond: Multidimensional poverty in six Latin American countries,"
142, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Lopez-Calva & Maria Lugo & Maria Santos, 2013. "Income and Beyond: Multidimensional Poverty in Six Latin American Countries," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 291-314, June.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Felipe Lopez Calva & Maria Ana Lugo & Maria Emma Santos, 2009. "Income and Beyond: Multidimensional Poverty in six Latin American countries," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0090, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & David Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2006. "Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons with Discrete Indicators of Well-being," Cahiers de recherche 0628, CIRPEE.
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2002. "Multidimensional poverty indices," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 69-93.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Ma. Casilda Lasso de la Vega, 2009. "Counting poverty orderings and deprivation curves," Working Papers 150, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Walter Bossert & Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2009.
"Multidimensional poverty and material deprivation,"
129, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2009. "Multidimensional Poverty and Material Deprivation," Cahiers de recherche 12-2009, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2009. "Multidimensional Poverty and Material Deprivation," Cahiers de recherche 2009-11, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2003.
"The Measurement of Social Exclusion,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
364, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gaston Yalonetzky, 2013. "Stochastic Dominance with Ordinal Variables: Conditions and a Test," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 126-163, January.
- Alkire, Sabina & Santos, María Emma, 2011.
"Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011
3, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Sabina Alkire & Maria Emma Santos, 2010. "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-11, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Sabina Alkire and Maria Emma Santos, 2010. "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp038, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Yélé Batana, 2013. "Multidimensional Measurement of Poverty Among Women in Sub-Saharan Africa," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 337-362, June.
- Sen, Amartya, 2001. "Development as Freedom," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192893307.
- Ian Crawford, 2005. "A nonparametric test of stochastic dominance in multivariate distributions," School of Economics Discussion Papers 1205, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2010.
"Mashup indices of development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5432, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2012-257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.