Counting poverty orderings and deprivation curves
Most of the data available for measuring capabilities or dimensions of poverty is either ordinal or categorical. However, the majority of the indices introduced for the assessment of multidimensional poverty behave well only with cardinal variables. The counting approach introduced by Atkinson (2003) concentrates on the number of dimensions in which each person is deprived, and is an appropriate procedure that deals well with ordinal and categorical variables. A method to identify the poor and a number of poverty indices has been proposed taking this framework into account. However, the implementation of this methodology involves the choice of a minimum number of deprivations required in order to be identified as poor. This cut-off adds arbitrariness to poverty comparisons. The aim of this paper is two-fold. Firstly, we explore properties which allow us to characterize the identification method as the most appropriate procedure to identify the poor in a multidimensional setting. Then the paper examines dominance conditions in order to guarantee unanimous poverty rankings in a counting framework. Our conditions are based on simple graphical devices that provide a tool for checking the robustness of poverty rankings to changes in the identification cut-off, and also for checking unanimous orderings in a wide set of multidimensional poverty indices that suit ordinal and categorical data.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2013.
"Testing for Restricted Stochastic Dominance,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 84-125, January.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2006. "Testing for Restricted Stochastic Dominance," Working Papers 36, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2009. "Testing for restricted stochastic dominance," Working Papers halshs-00443560, HAL.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2013. "Testing for Restricted Stochastic Dominance," Post-Print hal-01499628, HAL.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2006. "Testing For Restricted Stochastic Dominance," Departmental Working Papers 2006-20, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 2006. "Testing for Restricted Stochastic Dominance," IZA Discussion Papers 2047, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2006. "Testing for Restricted Stochastic Dominance," Cahiers de recherche 0609, CIRPEE.
- Yélé Maweki Batana & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2008. "Multidimensional Poverty Dominance: Statistical Inference and an Application to West Africa," Cahiers de recherche 0808, CIRPEE.
- Yélé Batana, 2013. "Multidimensional Measurement of Poverty Among Women in Sub-Saharan Africa," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 337-362, June.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011. "Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011. "Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Sabina Alkire and James Foster, 2009. "Counting and Multidimensional Poverty Measurement," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp007, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Zheng, Buhong, 2000. " Poverty Orderings," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 427-466, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-177, January.
- Anthony Shorrocks, 2009. "On the measurement of unemployment," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 7(3), pages 311-327, September.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-231, March.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Lambert, Peter J, 1997. "Three 'I's of Poverty Curves, with an Analysis of UK Poverty Trends," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 317-327, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)