Counting poverty orderings and deprivation curves
Most of the data available for measuring capabilities or dimensions of poverty is either ordinal or categorical. However, the majority of the indices introduced for the assessment of multidimensional poverty behave well only with cardinal variables. The counting approach introduced by Atkinson (2003) concentrates on the number of dimensions in which each person is deprived, and is an appropriate procedure that deals well with ordinal and categorical variables. A method to identify the poor and a number of poverty indices has been proposed taking this framework into account. However, the implementation of this methodology involves the choice of a minimum number of deprivations required in order to be identified as poor. This cut-off adds arbitrariness to poverty comparisons. The aim of this paper is two-fold. Firstly, we explore properties which allow us to characterize the identification method as the most appropriate procedure to identify the poor in a multidimensional setting. Then the paper examines dominance conditions in order to guarantee unanimous poverty rankings in a counting framework. Our conditions are based on simple graphical devices that provide a tool for checking the robustness of poverty rankings to changes in the identification cut-off, and also for checking unanimous orderings in a wide set of multidimensional poverty indices that suit ordinal and categorical data.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Sabina Alkire and James Foster, 2009.
"Counting and Multidimensional Poverty Measurement,"
OPHI Working Papers
ophiwp007, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011. "Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011. "Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2006.
"Testing for Restricted Stochastic Dominance,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2009. "Testing for restricted stochastic dominance," Working Papers halshs-00443560, HAL.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2006. "Testing For Restricted Stochastic Dominance," Departmental Working Papers 2006-20, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 2006. "Testing for Restricted Stochastic Dominance," IZA Discussion Papers 2047, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2006. "Testing for Restricted Stochastic Dominance," Working Papers 36, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Lambert, Peter J, 1997. "Three 'I's of Poverty Curves, with an Analysis of UK Poverty Trends," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 317-27, July.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Zheng, Buhong, 2000. " Poverty Orderings," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 427-66, September.
- Yélé Batana, 2013. "Multidimensional Measurement of Poverty Among Women in Sub-Saharan Africa," Social Indicators Research- An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 337-362, June.
- Anthony Shorrocks, 2009. "On the measurement of unemployment," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 311-327, September.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1988. "Poverty Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 173-77, January.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Yélé Maweki Batana & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2008. "Multidimensional Poverty Dominance: Statistical Inference and an Application to West Africa," Cahiers de recherche 0808, CIRPEE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2009-150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.