Analyzing Labor Supply Behavior with Latent Job Opportunity Sets and Institutional Choice Constraints
In this paper we discuss a general framework for analyzing labor supply behavior in the presence of complicated budget- and quantity constraints of which some are unobserved. The point of departure is that an individual’s labor supply decision can be considered as a choice from a set of discrete alternatives (jobs). These jobs are characterized by attributes such as hours of work, sector specific wages and other sector specific aspects of the jobs. We focus in particular on theoretical justification of functional form assumptions and properties of the random components of the model. The paper includes an empirical application based on Norwegian data, in which the labor supply of married women is estimated.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaberge, Rolf & Colombino, Ugo & Strom, Steinar, 1999. "Labour Supply in Italy: An Empirical Analysis of Joint Household Decisions, with Taxes and Quantity Constraints," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 403-22, July-Aug..
- Aaberge, Rolf & Dagsvik, John K & Strom, Steinar, 1995. " Labor Supply Responses and Welfare Effects of Tax Reforms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 635-59, December.
- Altonji, Joseph G & Paxson, Christina H, 1988.
"Labor Supply Preferences, Hours Constraints, and Hours-Wage Trade-Offs,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(2), pages 254-76, April.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Christina H. Paxson, 1987. "Labor Supply Preferences, Hours Constraints, and Hours-Wage Tradeoffs," NBER Working Papers 2121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Altonji & Christina Paxson, 1987. "Labor Supply Preferences, Hours Constraints, and Hours-Wage Tradeoffs," Working Papers 594, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1984. "Incentive for the Homogenization of Time Use," NBER Working Papers 1397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomquist, Soren, 1996. "Estimation methods for male labor supply functions How to take account of nonlinear taxes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 383-405, February.
- Kapteyn, Arie & Kooreman, Peter & van Soest, Arthur, 1990.
"Quantity Rationing and Concavity in a Flexible Household Labor Supply Model,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 55-62, February.
- Kapteyn, A.J. & Kooreman, P. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1989. "Quantity rationing and concavity in a flexible household labor supply model," Discussion Paper 1989-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- John K. Dagsvik & Steinar Strøm, 2002.
"Analyzing labor supply behavior with latent job opportunity sets and institutional choice constraints,"
ICER Working Papers
15-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- John K. Dagsvik & Steinar Strøm, 2003. "Analyzing Labor Supply Behavior with Latent Job Opportunity Sets and Institutional Choice Constraints," Discussion Papers 344, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Dagsvik, John K. & Strøm, Steinars, 2003. "Analyzing labor supply behavior with latent job opportunity sets and institutional choice constraints," Memorandum 11/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- William T. Dickens & Shelly J. Lundberg, 1985.
"Hours Restrictions and Labor Supply,"
NBER Working Papers
1638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Heckman, James J & Sedlacek, Guilherme L, 1990. "Self-selection and the Distribution of Hourly Wages," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages S329-63, January.
- Dagsvik, John K, 2000.
"Aggregation in Matching Markets,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 27-57, February.
- Ransom, Michael R, 1987. "An Empirical Model of Discrete and Continuous Choice in Family Labor Supply," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 465-72, August.
- Nakamura, Alice & Nakamura, Masao, 1981. "A Comparison of the Labor Force Behavior of Married Women in the United States and Canada, with Special Attention to the Impact of Income Taxes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 451-89, March.
- Edin, P-A. & Zetterberg, J., 1989. "Inter-Industry Wage Differntials: Evidence From Sweden And A Comparison Withthe United States," Papers 1989f, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Wales, T J & Woodland, A D, 1979. "Labour Supply and Progressive Taxes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 83-95, January.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1985. "The Econometrics of Nonlinear Budget Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1255-82, November.
- Kohlhase, Janet E, 1986. "Labor Supply and Housing Demand for One- and Two-Earner Households," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 48-57, February.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Zetterberg, Johnny, 1992. "Interindustry Wage Differentials: Evidence from Sweden and a Comparison with the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1341-49, December.
- Blomquist, N. Soren, 1983. "The effect of income taxation on the labor supply of married men in Sweden," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 169-197, November.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1984. "The Estimation of a Joint Wage-Hours Labor Supply Model," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(4), pages 550-66, October.
- Arrufat, Jose Luis & Zabalza, Antonio, 1986. "Female Labor Supply with Taxation, Random Preferences, and Optimization Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(1), pages 47-63, January.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Paul Ruud, 1984.
"Family Labor Supply With Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
1271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Magnac, Th, 1991. "Segmented or Competitive Labor Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 165-87, January.
- Rosen, Harvey S, 1976. "Taxes in a Labor Supply Model with Joint Wage-Hours Determination," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 485-507, May.
- Ilmakunnas, Seija & Pudney, Stephen, 1990. "A model of female labour supply in the presence of hours restrictions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 183-210, March.
- Dagsvik, John K, 1994. "Discrete and Continuous Choice, Max-Stable Processes, and Independence from Irrelevant Attributes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1179-1205, September.
- Daniel McFadden, 1977. "Modelling the Choice of Residential Location," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 477, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:344. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.