Fair Value Reporting Standards and Market Volatility
[Début du chapitre] One of the most important public policy debates in recent years has been the reform of accounting standards toward “fair value” accounting. Financial institutions, especially banks and insurance companies, have been at the forefront of this debate and have been the most vocal opponents of this reform. Judging from the intensity of the arguments and the controversy that this reform has generated, there is clearly much more at stake than what may appear to be esoteric measurement issues. We review the main strands of this debate, and describe a framework of analysis that can weigh up the arguments on both sides. Far from being an esoteric debate, issues of measurement have a far reaching influence on the behaviour of financial institutions, and determine to a large extent the efficiency of the price mechanism in guiding real decisions.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Derivatives Accounting and Risk Management, pp.145-155|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2004.
"Liquidity Black Holes,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 8(1), pages 1-18.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2003. "Liquidity Black Holes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1434, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2004. "Liquidity Black Holes," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm425, Yale School of Management.
- Hyun Song Shin & Stephen Morris, 2004. "Liquidity Black Holes," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 620, Econometric Society.
- Hyun Song Shin & Stephen Morris, 2004. "Liquidity Black Holes," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 644, Econometric Society.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2003. "Financial Fragility, Liquidity and Asset Prices," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-37, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- O'Hara Maureen, 1993. "Real Bills Revisited: Market Value Accounting and Loan Maturity," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 51-76, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/70ur20flu79u1at4a0q027ojpr. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.