Land Inequality in a Coffee Economy: São Paulo During the Early Twentieth Century
This article examines the distribution of land ownership in the northeastern part of the state of São Paulo, Brazil, the leading coffee export region in the world during the early twentieth century. Based on a detailed agricultural census, we find a widespread presence of small and medium-size farms, with varied degrees of land concentration across subregions and municipalities. Still, large farms and latifundia controlled most of the productive resources in northeast São Paulo, resulting in high levels of inequality when compared to those of other export regions in South and North America.
|Date of creation:||06 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: (011) 818-5811|
Web page: http://www.portalfea.fea.usp.br/economia/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Naritomi, Joana & Soares, Rodrigo R. & Assunção, Juliano J., 2009.
"Institutional Development and Colonial Heritage within Brazil,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4276, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Naritomi, Joana & Soares, Rodrigo R. & Assunção, Juliano J., 2012. "Institutional Development and Colonial Heritage within Brazil," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 72(02), pages 393-422, June.
- Joana Narotomi & Rodrigo Soares & Juliano J. Assunção, 2009. "Institutional Development and Colonial Heritage within Brazil," Textos para discussão 561, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- repec:oup:restud:v:76:y:2009:i:1:p:143-179 is not listed on IDEAS
- Galor, Oded & Moav, Omer & Vollrath, Dietrich, 2008.
"Inequality in Land Ownership, the Emergence of Human Capital Promoting Institutions and the Great Divergence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6751, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oded Galor & Omar Moav & Dietrich Vollrath, 2006. "Inequality in Land Ownership, the Emergence of Human Capital Promoting Institutions, and the Great Divergence," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_001, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Bértola, Luis & Castelnovo, Cecilia & Rodríguez, Javier & Willebald, Henry, 2010. "Between the colonial heritage and the first globalization boom: on income inequality in the Southern Cone," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 307-341, September.
- Acemoglu, Daron & García-Jimeno, Camilo & Robinson, James A., 2012.
"Finding Eldorado: Slavery and long-run development in Colombia,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 534-564.
- Daron Acemoglu & Camilo García-Jimeno & James A. Robinson, 2012. "Finding Eldorado: Slavery and Long-run Development in Colombia," NBER Working Papers 18177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Summerhill, William, 2010. "Colonial Institutions, Slavery, Inequality, and Development: Evidence from São Paulo, Brazil," MPRA Paper 22162, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Carvalho Filho, Irineu & Colistete, Renato P., 2010. "Education Performance: Was It All Determined 100 Years Ago? Evidence From São Paulo, Brazil," MPRA Paper 24494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Easterly, William, 2007. "Inequality does cause underdevelopment: Insights from a new instrument," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 755-776, November.
- Daron Acemoglu & María Angélica Bautista & Pablo Querubín & James A. Robinson, 2007. "Economic and Political Inequality in Development: The Case of Cundinamarca, Colombia," NBER Working Papers 13208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abad, Leticia Arroyo, 2013. "Persistent Inequality? Trade, Factor Endowments, and Inequality in Republican Latin America," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 73(01), pages 38-78, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spa:wpaper:2014wpecon1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro Garcia Duarte)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.