How Much Has Private Credit Lending Reacted to Monetary Policy in China? The Case of Wenzhou
This study investigates empirically what the major factors are which have driven Wenzhouâ€™s informal credit market and how much that market is responsive to monetary policies and the formal banking conditions nationwide. The main findings are: (i) the informal credit lending rates are highly receptive to monetary policies; (ii) the market is dominantly demand driven; (iii) the informal lending is substitutive to bank savings in the short run but complementary to banking lending in the long run; and (iv) the market is complementary to excessive investments in the local real estate market.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.soas.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas Madestam, 2008.
"Informal Finance: A Theory of Moneylenders,"
347, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Harold P.E. Ngalawa and Nicola Viegi, 2013.
"Interaction of Formal and Informal Financial Markets in Quasi-Emerging Market Economies,"
326, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Ngalawa, Harold & Viegi, Nicola, 2013. "Interaction of formal and informal financial markets in quasi-emerging market economies," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 614-624.
- Harold Ngalawa & Nicola Viegi, 2013. "Interaction of Formal and Informal Financial Markets in Quasi-Emerging Market Economies," Working Papers 201306, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Franklin Allen & Jun Qian & Meijun Qian, 2002.
"Law, Finance, and Economic Growth in China,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Atieno, Rosemary, 2009. "Linkages, Access to Finance and the Performance of Small-Scale Enterprises in Kenya," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Carpenter, Seth B, 1999. "Informal Credit Markets and the Transmission of Monetary Policy: Evidence from South Korea," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 323-35, October.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan & Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 1997. "Formal Credit, Corruption and the Informal Credit Market in Agriculture: A Theoretical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 331-43, May.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soa:wpaper:178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duo QIN)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Duo QIN to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.