The 2007 Subprime Market Crisis Through the Lens of European Central Bank Auctions for Short-Term Funds
In this paper we study European banks’ demand for short-term funds during the 2007 subprime market crisis. We use bidding data from the European Central Bank’s auctions for one-week loans. Through a model of bidding, we show that bank behavior reflects the cost of obtaining short-term funds elsewhere as well as a strategic response to other bidders. We find considerable heterogeneity across banks in their willingness to pay for short-term funds supplied in these auctions. Accounting for the strategic component is important: while a naive interpretation of the raw bidding data may suggest that virtually all banks suffered a dramatic increase in the cost of obtaining funds in the interbank market, we find that for about one third of the banks, the change in bidding behavior was simply a strategic response. Using a complementary dataset, we also find that bank pre-turmoil liquidity costs, as estimated by our model, are predictive of their post-turmoil liquidity costs, and that there is considerable heterogeneity in these costs with respect to the country-of-origin. Finally, among the publicly traded banks, the willingness to pay for short-term funds in the second half of 2007 are predictive of stock prices in late 2008.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 366 Galvez Street, Stanford, California 94305-6015|
Phone: (650) 725-1874
Fax: (650) 723-8611
Web page: http://siepr.stanford.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lutz G. Arnold & John G. Riley, 2009.
"On the Possibility of Credit Rationing in the Stiglitz-Weiss Model,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2012-21, December.
- Arnold, Lutz G., 2005. "On the Possibility of Credit Rationing in the Stiglitz-Weiss Model," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 403, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A. & Bindseil, Ulrich, 2002.
"Bidding and performance in repo auctions: evidence from ECB open market operations,"
Working Paper Series
0157, European Central Bank.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2004. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9878h0kn, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Kjell G. Nyborg & Ulrich Bindseil & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2005. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," Working Papers 2005.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G & Strebulaev, Ilya, 2004. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," CEPR Discussion Papers 4367, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2005. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," Discussion Papers 2005/13, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Schnabl, Philipp & Suarez, Gustavo, 2013.
"Securitization without risk transfer,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 107(3), pages 515-536.
- Viral V. Acharya & Philipp Schnabl & Gustavo Suarez, 2010. "Securitization without risk transfer," NBER Working Papers 15730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acharya, Viral V & Schnabl, Philipp & Suarez, Gustavo, 2012. "Securitization Without Risk Transfer," CEPR Discussion Papers 8769, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- John B. Taylor & John C. Williams, 2009.
"A black swan in the money market,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Milgrom,Paul, 2004.
"Putting Auction Theory to Work,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521551847, june. pag.
- Eisenschmidt, Jens & Tapking, Jens, 2009. "Liquidity risk premia in unsecured interbank money markets," Working Paper Series 1025, European Central Bank.
- Ethan Cohen-Cole & Burcu Duygan-Bump & José Fillat & Judit Montoriol-Garriga, 2008. "Looking behind the aggregates: a reply to “Facts and Myths about the Financial Crisis of 2008”," Risk and Policy Analysis Unit Working Paper QAU08-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Eisenschmidt, Jens & Hirsch, Astrid & Linzert, Tobias, 2009. "Bidding behaviour in the ECB’s main refinancing operations during the financial crisis," Working Paper Series 1052, European Central Bank.
- Christian Ewerhart & Nuno Cassola & Natacha Valla, 2007.
"Declining Valuations And Equilibrium Bidding In Central Bank Refinancing Operations,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
07-22, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Valla, Natacha, 2010. "Declining valuations and equilibrium bidding in central bank refinancing operations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 30-43, January.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Valla, Natacha, 2006. "Declining valuations and equilibrium bidding in central bank refinancing operations," Working Paper Series 0668, European Central Bank.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Tapking, Jens, 2008. "Repo markets, counterparty risk and the 2007/2008 liquidity crisis," Working Paper Series 0909, European Central Bank.
- Kastl, Jakub, 2012. "On the properties of equilibria in private value divisible good auctions with constrained bidding," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 339-352.
- Adam Ashcraft & Morten L. Bech & W. Scott Frame, 2010.
"The Federal Home Loan Bank System: The Lender of Next-to-Last Resort?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(4), pages 551-583, 06.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Morten L. Bech & W. Scott Frame, 2009. "The Federal Home Loan Bank System: the lender of next-to-last resort?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2009-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Morten L. Bech & W. Scott Frame, 2008. "The Federal Home Loan Bank System: the lender of next-to-last resort?," Staff Reports 357, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- François-Louis Michaud & Christian Upper, 2008. "What drives interbank rates? Evidence from the Libor panel," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Athey, Susan & Haile, Philip A., 2007. "Nonparametric Approaches to Auctions," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 60 Elsevier.
- Robert Wilson, 1979. "Auctions of Shares," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(4), pages 675-689.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sip:dpaper:08-039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Shor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.