Young workersâ€Ÿ overeducation and cohort effects in â€œP.I.G.S.â€ countries versus the Netherlands: a pseudo-panel analysis
According to theoretical and empirical evidence young workers are more likely to be overeducated than adult ones, especially in countries where the educational attainments of young people grow quickly and the school-to-work transition is difficult and/or lengthy. Nonetheless, if overeducation were expected to disappear during working life, it would not be a crucial problem. To test the transitory nature/persistence of this phenomenon, firstly, I estimated overeducation using the competences frontier method and, later, I studied the â€œdestinationâ€ of different cohorts of workers by applying a pseudo-panel technique to Eurostat data referring to European Mediterranean countries and the Netherlands.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 6 49766353
Fax: +39 6 4462040
Web page: http://www.dipecodir.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Dieter Verhaest & Eddy Omey, 2006.
"The Impact of Overeducation and its Measurement,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 77(3), pages 419-448, 07.
- D. Verhaest & E. Omey, 2004. "The impact of overeducation and its measurement," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 04/215, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Giorgio Di Pietro & Peter Urwin, 2006.
"Education and skills mismatch in the Italian graduate labour market,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 79-93.
- Di Pietro, Giorgio & Peter Urwin, 2003. "Education and Skills Mismatch in the Italian Graduate Labour Market," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 59, Royal Economic Society.
- Giorgio Di Pietro & Andrea Cutillo, 2006. "University Quality and Labour Market Outcomes in Italy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 20(1), pages 37-62, 03.
- Emanuela Ghignoni, 2008.
"Temporary contracts, employees' effort and labour productivity: the evidence for Italy,"
111, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Ghignoni Emanuela, 2009. "Temporary Contracts, Employees' Effort and Labour Productivity: The Evidence for Italy," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 279-314.
- Patrizia Ordine & Giuseppe Rose, 2009. "Overeducation and Instructional Quality: A Theoretical Model and Some Facts," Journal of Human Capital, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(1), pages 73-105.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Dan T. Rosenbaum, 1998.
"Welfare, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Labor Supply of Single Mothers,"
JCPR Working Papers
32, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Dan T. Rosenbaum, 2001. "Welfare, The Earned Income Tax Credit, And The Labor Supply Of Single Mothers," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(3), pages 1063-1114, August.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Dan T. Rosenbaum, 1999. "Welfare, the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Labor Supply of Single Mothers," NBER Working Papers 7363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duncan, Greg J. & Hoffman, Saul D., 1981. "The incidence and wage effects of overeducation," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 75-86, February.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, May.
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521666633 is not listed on IDEAS
- P. J. Sloane & H. Battu & P. T. Seaman, 1999. "Overeducation, undereducation and the British labour market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1437-1453.
- Emanuela Ghignoni, 2001. "Frontiere di competenza overeducation e rendimento economico dell’istruzione nel mercato del lavoro italiano degli anni ’90," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 91(6), pages 115-158, July-Augu.
- Emanuela Ghignoni & Gabriella Pappadà, 2009. "Flexicurity analysis of youngsters in Europe: the role of "capabilities" and human capital," QUADERNI DI ECONOMIA DEL LAVORO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2009(90), pages 145-177.
- Ordine, Patrizia & Rose, Giuseppe, 2011. "Inefficient self-selection into education and wage inequality," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 582-597, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sap:wpaper:wp147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.