The law of survival of the political class: an analysis of the Italian Parliament (1946-2010)
Drawing on Alchianâ€Ÿs and Schumpeterâ€Ÿs theories about the market selection of entrepreneurs and on theories of the political class, we focus on the features characterizing the Italian post-war democratic Parliament, from 1946 to 2010. We analyse the survival of the members of the Italian Parliament, taking into account all available information concerning their individual characteristics and political affiliation. We apply the stratified Cox model, taking into consideration the order of re-election of the 15,357 repeated observations (representing 7,127 members of the Italian Parliament since 1946), who are followed as if they were â€œpatientsâ€ in order to study their parliamentary survival.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 6 49766353
Fax: +39 6 4462040
Web page: http://www.dipecodir.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Besley & Stephen Coate, .
""An Economic Model of Representative Democracy'',"
CARESS Working Papres
95-02, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Francesco Caselli & Massimo Morelli, 2000.
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
134, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Michael Wohlgemuth, 2000. "Political entrepreneurship and bidding for political monopoly," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 273-295.
- Osborne, Martin J & Slivinski, Al, 1996.
"A Model of Political Competition with Citizen-Candidates,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(1), pages 65-96, February.
- Martin J. Osborne & Al Slivinksi, 1995. "A Model of Political Competition with Citizen-Candidates," Department of Economics Working Papers 1995-01, McMaster University.
- Timothy Besley, 2005. "Political Selection," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 43-60, Summer.
- Mario Cleves & William W. Gould & Roberto G. Gutierrez & Yulia Marchenko, 2010. "An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 3, number saus3, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sap:wpaper:wp146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.