Binary quantile regression: A Bayesian approach based on the asymmetric Laplace density
In this article, we develop a Bayesian method for quantile regression in the case of dichotomous response data. The frequentist approach to this type of regression has proven problematic in both optimizing the objective function and making inference on the regression parameters. By accepting additional distributional assumptions on the error terms, the Bayesian method proposed sets the problem in a parametric framework in which these problems are avoided, i.e. it is relatively straightforward to calculate point predictions of the estimators with their corresponding credible intervals. To test the applicability of the method, we ran two Monte-Carlo experiments and applied it to Horowitz’ (1993) often studied work-trip mode choice dataset. Compared to previous estimates for the latter dataset, the method proposed interestingly leads to a different economic interpretation.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bilias, Yannis & Chen, Songnian & Ying, Zhiliang, 2000. "Simple resampling methods for censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 373-386, December.
- Manski, Charles F. & Thompson, T. Scott, 1986. "Operational characteristics of maximum score estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-108, June.
- Machado, Jose A.F. & Silva, J. M. C. Santos, 2005.
"Quantiles for Counts,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1226-1237, December.
- Florios, Kostas & Skouras, Spyros, 2008. "Exact computation of max weighted score estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 86-91, September.
- Jason Abrevaya & Jian Huang, 2005. "On the Bootstrap of the Maximum Score Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1175-1204, 07.
- Manski, Charles F., 1975. "Maximum score estimation of the stochastic utility model of choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-228, August.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of a work-trip mode choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 49-70, July.
- Gozalo, Pedro & Linton, Oliver, 2000. "Local nonlinear least squares: Using parametric information in nonparametric regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 63-106, November.
- Manski, Charles F., 1985. "Semiparametric analysis of discrete response : Asymptotic properties of the maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 313-333, March.
- Kotlyarova, Yulia & Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2006.
"Non- and semi-parametric estimation in models with unknown smoothness,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 379-386, December.
- Yulia Kotlyarova & Victoria Zinde-Walsh, 2006. "Non And Semi-Parametric Estimation In Models With Unknown Smoothness," Departmental Working Papers 2006-15, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Yu, Keming & Stander, Julian, 2007. "Bayesian analysis of a Tobit quantile regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 260-276, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:10/662. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.