Conjugate priors and variable selection for Bayesian quantile regression
Bayesian variable selection in quantile regression models is often a difficult task due to the computational challenges and non-availability of conjugate prior distributions. These challenges are rarely addressed via either penalized likelihood function or stochastic search variable selection. These methods typically use symmetric prior distributions such as a normal distribution or a Laplace distribution for regression coefficients, which may be suitable for median regression. However, an extreme quantile regression should have different regression coefficients from the median regression, and thus the priors for quantile regression should depend on the quantile. In this article an extension of the Zellners prior which allows for a conditional conjugate prior and quantile dependent prior on Bayesian quantile regression is proposed. Secondly, a novel prior based on percentage bend correlation for model selection is also used in Bayesian regression for the first time. Thirdly, a new variable selection method based on a Gibbs sampler is developed to facilitate the computation of the posterior probabilities. The proposed methods are justified mathematically and illustrated with both simulation and real data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerlach, Richard H. & Chen, Cathy W. S. & Chan, Nancy Y. C., 2011.
"Bayesian Time-Varying Quantile Forecasting for Value-at-Risk in Financial Markets,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 481-492.
- Richard H. Gerlach & Cathy W. S. Chen & Nancy Y. C. Chan, 2011. "Bayesian Time-Varying Quantile Forecasting for Value-at-Risk in Financial Markets," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(4), pages 481-492, October.
- Chan, Nancy Y. C. & Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard, 2009. "Bayesian time-varying quantile forecasting for Value-at-Risk in financial markets," Working Papers 01/2009, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., .
"Nonparametric Regression using Bayesian Variable Selection,"
Statistics Working Paper
_009, Australian Graduate School of Management.
- Smith, Michael & Kohn, Robert, 1996. "Nonparametric regression using Bayesian variable selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 317-343, December.
- Yu, Keming & Stander, Julian, 2007. "Bayesian analysis of a Tobit quantile regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 260-276, March.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2001. "Non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck-based models and some of their uses in financial economics," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 167-241.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845731 is not listed on IDEAS
- Komunjer, Ivana, 2002.
"Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation for Conditional Quantiles,"
1139, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Komunjer, Ivana, 2005. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation for conditional quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 137-164, September.
- Hanson T. & Johnson W.O., 2002. "Modeling Regression Error With a Mixture of Polya Trees," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1020-1033, December.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Hong, Han, 2003. "An MCMC approach to classical estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 293-346, August.
- Yu, Keming & Moyeed, Rana A., 2001. "Bayesian quantile regression," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 437-447, October.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2005. "Bayesian exponentially tilted empirical likelihood," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(1), pages 31-46, March.
- Athanasios Kottas & Milovan Krnjajic, 2009. "Bayesian Semiparametric Modelling in Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(2), pages 297-319.
- Yuan, Ming & Lin, Yi, 2005. "Efficient Empirical Bayes Variable Selection and Estimation in Linear Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1215-1225, December.
- D. F. Benoit & D. Van Den Poel, 2010. "Binary quantile regression: A Bayesian approach based on the asymmetric Laplace density," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/662, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Rand Wilcox, 1994. "The percentage bend correlation coefficient," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 59(4), pages 601-616, December.
- Tony Lancaster & Sung Jae Jun, 2010. "Bayesian quantile regression methods," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 287-307.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:64:y:2013:i:c:p:209-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.