Identifying Drivers for the Accumulation of Household Financial Wealth
Household financial assets and liabilities display considerable variation across countries and over time. This article investigates empirically the role of some of the key Life Cycle Model variables and other relevant factors behind household financial wealth disparities using data from 40 countries over the period 1995-2009. To the author's knowledge, it uses the largest macroeconomic dataset on household financial assets and liabilities assembled to date. The results are in line with the aggregative implications of the Life Cycle Model in that the wealth-to-income ratio decreases with income per capita growth and increases with the expected length of retirement. The study also presents empirical evidence for the role of financial and demographic developments on the accumulation of financial assets and liabilities by the household sector.
|Date of creation:||13 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:||13 Feb 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.it
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, John, 2006.
3157877, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1986.
"Life Cycle, Individual Thrift, and the Wealth of Nations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 297-313, June.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1985. "Life Cycle, Individual Thrift and the Wealth of Nations," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1985-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Kunal Sen, 2001.
"The Determinants Of Private Saving In India,"
ASARC Working Papers
2001-13, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1996. "Why are Latin America's savings rates so low? An international comparative analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 5-44, October.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- Ligia Melo & Héctor Zárate & Juana Tellez, 2006.
"El ahorro de los hogares en Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002454, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ligia Melo B. & Juana Téllez C. & Héctor Zárate S. Author-Email:email@example.com, 2006. "El ahorro de los hogares en Colombia," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 24(52), pages 110-161, Diciembre.
- Ligia Melo B & Juana Téllez C & Héctor Zárate S., 2006. "El ahorro de los hogares en Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, November.
- Bottazzi, Renata & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2006.
"Retirement expectations, pension reforms, and their impact on private wealth accumulation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 90(12), pages 2187-2212, December.
- Bottazzi, Renata & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2006. "Retirement expectations, pension reforms, and their impact on private wealth accumulation," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Florian Pelgrin & Alain de Serres, 2003.
"The Decline in Private Saving Rates in the 1990s in OECD Countries: How Much Can Be Explained by Non-wealth Determinants?,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2003(1), pages 117-153.
- Alain de Serres & Florian Pelgrin, 2002. "The Decline in Private Saving Rates in the 1990s in OECD Countries: How Much Can be Explained by Non-Wealth Determinants?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 344, OECD Publishing.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Junmin Wan, 2006.
"The Determinants of Household Saving in China: A Dynamic Panel Analysis of Provincial Data,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0676, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University, revised Sep 2007.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Junmin Wan, 2007. "The Determinants of Household Saving in China: A Dynamic Panel Analysis of Provincial Data," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(8), pages 2077-2096, December.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Junmin Wan, 2006. "The Determinants of Household Saving in China: A Dynamic Panel Analysis of Provincial Data," NBER Working Papers 12723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Junmin Wan, 2007. "The determinants of household saving in China: a dynamic panel analysis of provincial data," Working Paper Series 2007-28, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1994.
"Saving, Growth, and Liquidity Constraints,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 83-109, February.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1998.
"Stock Markets, Banks, and Economic Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 537-58, June.
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996. "Stock markets, banks, and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1690, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine & Sara Zervos, . "Stock markets, banks and economic growth ," CERF Discussion Paper Series 95-11, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "A Theory of the Consumption Function," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie57-1.
- Tim Callen & Christian Thimann, 1997. "Empirical Determinants of Household Saving: Evidence From OECD Countries," IMF Working Papers 97/181, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian Thimann & Anuradha Dayal-Gulati, 1997. "Saving in Southeast Asia and Latin America Compared: Searching for Policy Lessons," IMF Working Papers 97/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrea Brandolini & Giovanni D’Alessio & Luigi Cannari & Ivan Faiella, 2004.
"Household Wealth Distribution in Italy in the 1990s,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_414, Levy Economics Institute.
- Andrea Brandolini & Luigi Cannari & Giovanni Dâ€™Alessio & Ivan Faiella, 2006. "Household Wealth Distribution in Italy in the 1990s," Chapters, in: International Perspectives on Household Wealth, chapter 7 Edward Elgar.
- Andrea Brandolini & Luigi Cannari & Giovanni D'Alessio & Ivan Faiella, 2004. "Household Wealth Distribution in Italy in the 1990s," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 530, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Agar Brugiavini, 2003. "Social Security And Households' Saving," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 1075-1119, August.
- Luisa Corrado & David A. Londo–o B. & Francesco S. Mennini & Giovanni Trovato, 2003. "The Welfare States in a United Europe," European Political Economy Review, European Political Economy Infrastructure Consortium, vol. 1(Spring), pages 40-55.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano & Marco di Maggio, 2008.
"Households’ Indebtedness and Financial Fragility,"
CSEF Working Papers
208, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 09 Sep 2010.
- Jappelli Tullio & Pagano Marco & Di Maggio Marco, 2013. "Households' indebtedness and financial fragility," Journal of Financial Management, Markets and Institutions, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 23-46, January.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1974. "Social Security, Induced Retirement, and Aggregate Capital Accumulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(5), pages 905-26, Sept./Oct.
- Haque, N. U. & Pesaran, M. H. & Sharma, Sunil, 1999.
"Neglected Heterogeneity and Dynamics in Cross-country Savings Regressions,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9904, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- International Monetary Fund, 1999. "Neglected Heterogeneity and Dynamics in Cross-Country Savings Regressions," IMF Working Papers 99/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul R. Masson & Tamim Bayoumi & Hossein Samiei, 1995.
"International Evidenceon the Determinants of Private Saving,"
IMF Working Papers
95/51, International Monetary Fund.
- Masson, Paul R & Bayoumi, Tamim & Samiei, Hossein, 1998. "International Evidence on the Determinants of Private Saving," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 483-501, September.
- repec:fth:wobaco:1083 is not listed on IDEAS
- James M. Poterba, 2000. "Stock Market Wealth and Consumption," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 99-118, Spring.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "Introduction to "A Theory of the Consumption Function"," NBER Chapters, in: A Theory of the Consumption Function, pages 1-6 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.