The impact of cost sharing schemes on drug compliance: evidence based on quantile regression
In this work we investigate the causal impact of cost sharing schemes on drug compliance using a Difference-in-Differences approach within a quantile regression framework. We exploit a series of natural experiments occurred in Italy between 2000 and 2010, referring to the introduction of regional co-payment schemes. We find that co-payments have a negative impact on compliance, causing a reallocation of individuals from the upper to the lower tail of the compliance distribution, thus hurting the already narrow group of good compliers. The empirical evidence suggests also that gender, clinical history and geographic residence are important drivers of compliance, particularly within the group of poor compliers.
|Date of creation:||27 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:||27 Jul 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.it
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tullio Jappelli & Luigi Pistaferri & Guglielmo Weber, 2006.
"Health Care Quality, Economic Inequality, and Precautionary Saving,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0020, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Tullio Jappelli & Luigi Pistaferri & Guglielmo Weber, 2007. "Health care quality, economic inequality, and precautionary saving," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 327-346.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Vincenzo Atella & Franco Peracchi & Domenico Depalo & Claudio Rossetti, 2006. "Drug compliance, co-payment and health outcomes: evidence from a panel of Italian patients," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(9), pages 875-892.
- repec:spr:aphecp:v:4:y:2005:i:1:p:23-35 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.