Consistent Estimation of the “True” Fixed-effects Stochastic Frontier Model
The classic stochastic frontier panel data models provide no mechanism to disentangle individual time invariant unobserved heterogeneity from inefficiency. Greene (2005a,b) proposed a fixed-effects model specification that distinguishes these two latent components and allows a time varying inefficiency distribution. However, the maximum likelihood estimator proposed by Greene leads to biased inefficiency estimates due to the incidental parameters problem. In this paper, we propose two alternative estimation procedures that, by relying on a first difference data transformation, achieve consistency for n goes to infinity with fixed T. Evidence from Monte Carlo simulations shows good finite sample performances of both approaches even in presence of small samples.
|Date of creation:||18 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:||18 Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.itEmail:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silvio Daidone & Francesco D’Amico, 2009.
"Technical efficiency, specialization and ownership form: evidences from a pooling of Italian hospitals,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 203-216, December.
- Silvio Daidone & Francesco D'Amico, 2009. "Technical Efficiency, Specialization and Ownership Form: Evidences from a Pooling of Italian Hospitals," CEIS Research Paper 143, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 30 Sep 2009.
- Carlos Martins-Filho & Feng Yao, 2010. "A note on some properties of a skew-normal density," Working Papers 10-10, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001.
"One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels,"
31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002. "One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Poirier, Dale J & Ruud, Paul A, 1988.
"Probit with Dependent Observations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 593-614, October.
- Dale J. Poirier and Paul A. Ruud., 1987. "Probit with Dependent Observations," Economics Working Papers 8734, University of California at Berkeley.
- Poirier, Dale J. & Ruud, Paul A., 1987. "Probit with Dependent Obervations," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt04f5m9t2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ritter, C. & Simar, L., .
"Pitfalls of normal-gamma stochastic frontier models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1272, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- RITTER, Christian & SIMAR, Leopold, 1994. "Pitfalls of Normal-Gamma Stochastic Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1994041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Honore, Bo E. & Powell, James L., 1994. "Pairwise difference estimators of censored and truncated regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 241-278.
- Lancaster, Tony, 2000. "The incidental parameter problem since 1948," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 391-413, April.
- Wang, Hung-Jen, 2006. "Stochastic frontier models," MPRA Paper 31079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wang, Honglin & Iglesias, Emma M. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2013. "Partial maximum likelihood estimation of spatial probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 77-89.
- Abrevaya, Jason, 1999. "Leapfrog estimation of a fixed-effects model with unknown transformation of the dependent variable," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 203-228, December.
- Andres Aradillas-Lopez & Bo E. Honoré & James L. Powell, 2007. "Pairwise Difference Estimation With Nonparametric Control Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1119-1158, November.
- Gian Paolo Barbetta & Gilberto Turati & Angelo M. Zago, 2007.
"Behavioral differences between public and private not-for-profit hospitals in the Italian national health service,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 75-96.
- Gian Paolo Barbetta & Gilberto Turati & Angelo Zago, 2004. "Behavioral Differences Between Public and Private Not-For-Profit Hospitals in the Italian National Health Service," Working Papers 12, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Wei Siang Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2007.
"On The Distribution of Estimated Technical Efficiency in Stochastic Frontier Models,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022007, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Wang, Wei Siang & Schmidt, Peter, 2009. "On the distribution of estimated technical efficiency in stochastic frontier models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 36-45, January.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.