Band Spectral Estimation for Signal Extraction
The paper evaluates the potential of band spectral estimation for extracting signals in economic time series. Two situations are considered. The first deals with trend extraction when the original data have been permanently altered by routine operations, such as prefiltering, temporal aggregation and disaggregation, and seasonal adjustment, which modify the high frequencies properties of economic time series. The second is when the measurement model is only partially specified, in that it aims at fitting the series in a particular frequency range, e.g. at interpreting the long run behaviour. These issues are illustrated with reference to a simple structural model, namely the random walk plus noise model.
|Date of creation:||21 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.it
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004.
"Forecasting and Signal Extraction with Misspecified Models,"
- Tommaso Proietti, 2005. "Forecasting and signal extraction with misspecified models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(8), pages 539-556.
- Robinson, Peter M., 1977. "The construction and estimation of continuous time models and discrete approximations in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 173-197, September.
- Francis X. Diebold & Lee E. Ohanian & Jeremy Berkowitz, 1997.
"Dynamic equilibrium economies: a framework for comparing models and data,"
97-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Diebold, Francis X & Ohanian, Lee E & Berkowitz, Jeremy, 1998. "Dynamic Equilibrium Economies: A Framework for Comparing Models and Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 433-51, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Lee E. Ohanian & Jeremy Berkowitz, 1997. "Dynamic equilibrium economies: a framework for comparing models and data," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-23, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Francis X. Diebold & Lee E. Ohanian & Jeremy Berkowitz, 1998. "Dynamic equilibrium economies: a framework for comparing models and data," Staff Report 243, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Francis X. Diebold & Lee E. Ohanian & Jeremy Berkowitz, 1995. "Dynamic Equilibrium Economies: A Framework for Comparing Models and Data," NBER Technical Working Papers 0174, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:199944 is not listed on IDEAS
- Neil Shephard & Jurgen Doornik & Siem Jan Koopman, 1998.
"Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2,"
Economics Series Working Papers
1998-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004.
"Temporal Disaggregation by State Space Methods: Dynamic Regression Methods Revisited,"
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006. "Temporal disaggregation by state space methods: Dynamic regression methods revisited," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 9(3), pages 357-372, November.
- Harvey, A.C. & Koopman, S.J.M., 1999.
"Signal Extraction and the Formulation of Unobserved Components Models,"
1999-44, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Andrew Harvey & Siem Jan Koopman, 2000. "Signal extraction and the formulation of unobserved components models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 84-107.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Vigfusson, Robert J., 2003.
"Maximum likelihood in the frequency domain: the importance of time-to-plan,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 789-815, May.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Robert J. Vigfusson, 2001. "Maximum likelihood in the frequency domain: the importance of time-to-plan," Working Paper 0106, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Chow, Gregory C & Lin, An-loh, 1971.
"Best Linear Unbiased Interpolation, Distribution, and Extrapolation of Time Series by Related Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 372-75, November.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"Measures of Fit for Calibrated Models,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(6), pages 1011-41, December.
- Jaeger, Albert, 1992. "Does Consumption Take a Random Walk? Some Evidence from Macroeconomic Forecasting Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 607-14, November.
- Dean Corbae & Sam Ouliaris & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1997.
"Band Spectral Regression with Trending Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1163, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- D.S.G. Pollock, 2007. "Investigating Economic Trends And Cycles," Discussion Papers in Economics 07/17, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Apr 2008.
- R. F. Engle, 1972.
"Band Spectrum Regressions,"
96, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Andrew Harvey & Chia-Hui Chung, 2000. "Estimating the underlying change in unemployment in the UK," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 163(3), pages 303-309.
- Engle, Robert F, 1978. "Testing Price Equations for Stability across Spectral Frequency Bands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 869-81, July.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.