A monthly indicator of employment in the euro area: real time analysis of indirect estimates
The paper presents the results of an extensive real time analysis of alternative model-based approaches to derive a monthly indicator of employment for the euro area. In the experiment the Eurostat quarterly national accounts series of employment is temporally disaggregated using the information coming from the monthly series of unemployment. The strategy benefits of the contribution of the information set of the euro area and its 6 larger member states, as well as the split into the 6 sections of economic activity. The models under comparison include univariate regressions of the Chow and Lin' type where the euro area aggregate is directly and indirectly derived, as well as multivariate structural time series models of small and medium size. The specification in logarithms is also systematically assessed. The largest multivariate setups, up to 49 series, are estimated through the EM algorithm. Main conclusions are the following: mean revision errors of disaggregated estimates of employment are overall small; a gain is obtained when the model strategy takes into account the information by both sector and member state; the largest multivariate setups outperforms those of small size and the strategies based on classical disaggregation methods.
|Date of creation:||30 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:||30 Dec 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tommaso Proietti & Filippo Moauro, 2004.
"Dynamic Factor Analysis with Nonlinear Temporal Aggregation Constraints,"
- Tommaso Proietti & Filippo Moauro, 2006. "Dynamic factor analysis with non-linear temporal aggregation constraints," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 55(2), pages 281-300.
- Proietti, Tommaso, 2008. "Estimation of Common Factors under Cross-Sectional and Temporal Aggregation Constraints: Nowcasting Monthly GDP and its Main Components," MPRA Paper 6860, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew Harvey & Chia-Hui Chung, 2000. "Estimating the underlying change in unemployment in the UK," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 163(3), pages 303-309.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004.
"Temporal Disaggregation by State Space Methods: Dynamic Regression Methods Revisited,"
- Tommaso Proietti, 2006. "Temporal disaggregation by state space methods: Dynamic regression methods revisited," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 9(3), pages 357-372, November.
- Fernandez, F Javier & Harvey, Andrew C, 1990. "Seemingly Unrelated Time Series Equations and a Test for Homogeneity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, 2010.
"Survey data as coincident or leading indicators,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(1-2), pages 109-131.
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, 2009. "Survey Data as Coicident or Leading Indicators," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/19, European University Institute.
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, . "Survey Data as Coincident or Leading Indicators," Working Papers 3, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Chow, Gregory C & Lin, An-loh, 1971.
"Best Linear Unbiased Interpolation, Distribution, and Extrapolation of Time Series by Related Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 372-75, November.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tommaso Proietti, 2004. "On the Estimation of Nonlinearly Aggregated Mixed Models," Econometrics 0411012, EconWPA.
- Cecilia Frale & Massimiliano Marcellino & Gian Luigi Mazzi & Tommaso Proietti, 2011. "EUROMIND: a monthly indicator of the euro area economic conditions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 174(2), pages 439-470, 04.
- Filippo Moauro & Giovanni Savio, 2005. "Temporal disaggregation using multivariate structural time series models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 214-234, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27797. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.