Identification and Frequency Domain QML Estimation of Linearized DSGE Models
This paper considers issues related to identification, inference and computation in linearized Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium (DSGE) models. We first provide a necessary and su¢ cient condition for the local identification of the structural parameters based on the (first and) second order properties of the process. The condition allows for arbitrary relations be- tween the number of observed endogenous variables and structural shocks and is simple to verify. The extensions, including identification through a subset of frequencies, partial iden- tification, conditional identification and identification under general nonlinear constraints, are also studied. When lack of identification is detected, the method can be further used to trace out non-identification curves. For estimation, restricting our attention to nonsingular systems, we consider a frequency domain quasi-maximum likelihood (FQML) estimator and present its asymptotic properties. The limiting distribution of the estimator can be di¤erent from results in the related literature due to the structure of the DSGE model. Finally, we discuss a quasi- Bayesian procedure for estimation and inference. The procedure can be used to incorporate relevant prior distributions and is computationally attractive.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 270 Bay State Road, Boston, MA 02215|
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Consolo, Agostino & Favero, Carlo A. & Paccagnini, Alessia, 2009.
"On the statistical identification of DSGE models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 99-115, May.
- Agostino Consolo & Carlo A. Favero & Alessia Paccagnini, 2007. "On the Statistical Identification of DSGE Models," Working Papers 324, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Consolo, Agostino & Favero, Carlo A. & Paccagnini, Alessia, 2009. "On the Statistical Identification of DSGE Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 7176, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Agostino Consolo & Carlo A. Favero & Alessia Paccagnini, 2009. "On the statistical identification of DSGE models," Open Access publications 10197/7586, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Iskrev, Nikolay, 2010. "Local identification in DSGE models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 189-202, March.
- Nikolay Iskrev, 2009. "Local Identification in DSGE Models," Working Papers w200907, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Hong, Han, 2003. "An MCMC approach to classical estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 293-346, August.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1993. "Seasonality and approximation errors in rational expectations models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 21-55.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Vigfusson, Robert J., 2003. "Maximum likelihood in the frequency domain: the importance of time-to-plan," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 789-815, May.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Robert J. Vigfusson, 2001. "Maximum likelihood in the frequency domain: the importance of time-to-plan," Working Paper 0106, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Altug, Sumru, 1989. "Time-to-Build and Aggregate Fluctuations: Some New Evidence," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 889-920, November.
- Sumru Altug, 1986. "Time to build and aggregate fluctuations: some new evidence," Working Papers 277, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Berkowitz, Jeremy, 2001. "Generalized spectral estimation of the consumption-based asset pricing model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 269-288, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)