Who Profits From Trade Facilitation Initiatives?
Extensive research has demonstrated the existence of large potential welfare gains from trade facilitation—measures to reduce the overall costs of the international movement of goods. From an equity perspective an important question is how those benefits are distributed across and within nations. After discussing the possible impacts of trade facilitation, we use firm-level data for a wide variety of developing countries to investigate whether it is mostly large firms that benefit from trade facilitation. We find that firms of all sizes export more in response to improved trade facilitation. Our results suggest that trade facilitation can be beneficial in a range of countries, including those that are primarily involved in value chains as suppliers.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Milberg & Deborah Winkler, 2010. "Financialisation and the dynamics of offshoring in the USA," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 275-293, March.
- Joseph Francois & Hans Van Meijl & Frank Van Tongeren, 2005. "Trade liberalization in the Doha Development Round," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(42), pages 349-391, 04.
- Martinez-Zarzoso Inma & Márquez-Ramos Laura, 2008.
"The Effect of Trade Facilitation on Sectoral Trade,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-46, September.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Laura Márquez-Ramos, 2007. "The Effect of Trade Facilitation on Sectoral Trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 167, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2012. "Global supply chains: Why they emerged, why they matter, and where they are going," CEPR Discussion Papers 9103, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:118:y:2003:i:1:p:207-230 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2004.
"Bank Competition and Access to Finance: International Evidence,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 627-48, June.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2004. "Bank competition and access to finance: international evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 627-654.
- Matthias Helble & Catherine Mann & John Wilson, 2012.
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 357-376, June.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Nicita, Alessandro, 2011.
"Trade Policy, Trade Costs, and Developing Country Trade,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 2069-2079.
- Hoekman , Bernard & Nicita, Alessandro, 2008. "Trade Policy, Trade Costs, and Developing Country Trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4797, The World Bank.
- Shepherd, Ben, 2012.
"Trade times, importing, and exporting: Firm-level evidence,"
41706, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ben Shepherd, 2013. "Trade times, importing and exporting: firm-level evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(9), pages 879-883, June.
- Van Biesebroeck, Johannes, 2005.
"Exporting raises productivity in sub-Saharan African manufacturing firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 373-391, December.
- Johannes Van Biesebroeck, 2003. "Exporting Raises Productivity in Sub-Saharan African Manufacturing Plants," NBER Working Papers 10020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard Hoekman & Alessandro Nicita, 2010. "Assessing the Doha Round: Market access, transactions costs and aid for trade facilitation," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 65-79.
- Dollar, David & Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Mengistae, Taye, 2004.
"Investment climate and international integration,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3323, The World Bank.
- Saslavsky, Daniel & Shepherd, Ben, 2012.
"Facilitating international production networks : the role of trade logistics,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6224, The World Bank.
- Daniel Saslavsky & Ben Shepherd, 2014. "Facilitating international production networks: The role of trade logistics," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(7), pages 979-999, October.
- John S. Wilson & Catherine L. Mann & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2003. "Trade Facilitation and Economic Development: A New Approach to Quantifying the Impact," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 367-389, December.
- John S. Wilson & Catherine L. Mann & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2005. "Assessing the Benefits of Trade Facilitation: A Global Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(6), pages 841-871, 06.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2008.
"The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship,"
NBER Working Papers
13756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2010. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 31-64, July.
- Rmalho, Rita & Ganser, Tim Christian & Shleifer, Andrei & McLiesh, Caralee & Djankov, Simeon, 2010. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," Scholarly Articles 8705900, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Svensson, Jakob, 2000.
"Who must pay bribes and how much? Evidence from a cross-section of firms,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2486, The World Bank.
- Svensson, Jakob, 2002. "Who Must Pay Bribes and How Much? Evidence from a cross-section of firms," Seminar Papers 713, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Frederick Mayer & William Milberg, 2013. "Aid for Trade in a world of global value chains: chain power, the distribution of rents and implications for the form of aid," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series ctg-2013-34, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Evdokia Moïsé & Silvia Sorescu, 2013. "Trade Facilitation Indicators: The Potential Impact of Trade Facilitation on Developing Countries' Trade," OECD Trade Policy Papers 144, OECD Publishing.
- Richard J. Sexton & Ian Sheldon & Steve McCorriston & Humei Wang, 2007. "Agricultural trade liberalization and economic development: the role of downstream market power," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 253-270, 03.
- Fisman, Raymond & Svensson, Jakob, 2007.
"Are corruption and taxation really harmful to growth? Firm level evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 63-75, May.
- Fisman, Raymond & Svensson, Jakob, 2000. "Are corruption and taxation really harmful to growth? - firm-level evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2485, The World Bank.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shepherd, Ben & Wilson, John S., 2007. "Trade, Infrastructure, and Roadways in Europe and Central Asia: New Empirical Evidence," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 22, pages 723-747.
- Calì, Massimiliano & te Velde, Dirk Willem, 2011. "Does Aid for Trade Really Improve Trade Performance?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 725-740, May.
- Cattaneo, O. & Gereffi, G. & Miroudot, S. & Taglioni, D., 2013. "Joining, upgrading and being competitive in global value chains : a strategic framework," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6406, The World Bank.
- Stephanie BARRIENTOS & Frederick MAYER & John PICKLES & Anne POSTHUMA, 2011. "Decent work in global production networks: Framing the policy debate," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 150(3-4), pages 297-317, December.
- Allen Dennis & Ben Shepherd, 2011. "Trade Facilitation and Export Diversification," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 101-122, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:2013/49. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.