What type(s) of support schemes for storage in island power systems?
This paper proposes a support mechanism for energy storage devices for island power systems where intermittent renewable generation is rapidly growing. We base our proposal on the maturity level of storage devices (Chen and al., 2009) and on the linear model for the development of innovations (Foxon et al., 2005). We focus on storage technologies that can be technically developed in island power systems and that achieve the technical needs of these systems. We conclude that the horizon when the power storage shall extend to prevent the development of intermittent renewable generation from being thwarted in these systems, a feed-in tariff with a price varying within the time of day must be put in place.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Convento, Via delle Fontanelle, 19, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perez, Yannick & Ramos Real, Francisco Javier, 2008. "How to make a European integrated market in small and isolated electricity systems? The case of the Canary Islands," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4159-4167, November.
- Marrero, Gustavo A. & Ramos-Real, Francisco Javier, 2010.
"Electricity generation cost in isolated system: The complementarities of natural gas and renewables in the Canary Islands,"
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,
Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 2808-2818, December.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Francisco Javier Ramos-Real, 2010. "Electricity generation cost in isolated system: the complementarities of natural gas and renewables in the Canary Islands," Working Papers 2010-17, FEDEA.
- Ramos-Real, Francisco Javier & Moreno-Piquero, Juan Carlos & Ramos-Henriquez, Jose Manuel, 2007. "The effects of introducing natural gas in the Canary Islands for electricity generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3925-3935, July.
- Sioshansi, Ramteen & Denholm, Paul & Jenkin, Thomas & Weiss, Jurgen, 2009. "Estimating the value of electricity storage in PJM: Arbitrage and some welfare effects," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 269-277, March.
- Ramteen Sioshansi, 2010. "Some Policy and Research Questions Related to Energy Storage," RSCAS Working Papers 2010/58, European University Institute.
- Liebowitz, S J & Margolis, Stephen E, 1990. "The Fable of the Keys," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(1), pages 1-25, April.
- Liebowitz, S J & Margolis, Stephen E, 1995. "Path Dependence, Lock-in, and History," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 205-226, April.
- Stephen E. Margolis & S.J. Liebowitz, "undated". "Path Dependence, Lock-in and History," Working Paper Series 10, North Carolina State University, Department of Economics.
- Weisser, Daniel, 2004. "Power sector reform in small island developing states: what role for renewable energy technologies?," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 101-127, April.
- Dufo-López, Rodolfo & Bernal-Agustín, José L. & Domínguez-Navarro, José A., 2009. "Generation management using batteries in wind farms: Economical and technical analysis for Spain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 126-139, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rsc:rsceui:2012/70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.