The Time Dimension And Value Of Flexibility In Resource Allocation: The Case Of The Maritime Industry
The paper analyses empirically the time-varying properties of the spread between voyage and time-charter rates and presents evidence that these properties are directly related to the business cycle (market demand) of the maritime industry, to the expectations for the future market demand and to market volatility. Using a real options methodology, we demonstrate that the time-varying properties of the spread is the outcome of the strategic decision to time-commit company resources in the industry. It is shown that, during a market upturn (downturn) managers choose to commit company resources for a short period (long period), and thus, maintain flexibility (commitment) in better exploiting the upcoming business opportunities (protecting company resources from lack of business opportunities). Overall, the fluctuations of the time-varying spread, between voyage and time-charter rates, offer managerial insights in resource allocation that can better shape up chartering, budgeting and financial management decisions on the time commitment of resources in the maritime industry.
|Date of creation:||27 Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University Campus, Komotini, 69100, Greece|
Phone: (25310) 39.503
Fax: (25310) 39.502
Web page: http://www.econ.duth.gr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kostas Axarloglou & Stefanos Zarkos, 2010. "Market demand and the duration of business projects: the housing industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(7), pages 477-487.
- V. Krishnan & Shantanu Bhattacharya, 2002. "Technology Selection and Commitment in New Product Development: The Role of Uncertainty and Design Flexibility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(3), pages 313-327, March.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Ilias D. Visvikis, 2006. "Shipping freight derivatives: a survey of recent evidence," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 233-255, July.
- Tun-Hsiang (Edward) Yu & David A. Bessler & Stephen W. Fuller, 2007. "Price Dynamics in U.S. Grain and Freight Markets," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(3), pages 381-397, 09.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Jeffrey A. Miron, 1996. "The Economics of Seasonal Cycles," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262133237, July.
- Jeffrey A. Miron, 1990. "The Economics of Seasonal Cycles," NBER Working Papers 3522, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Bryant, Henry L., 2001. "The effect of barge and ocean freight price volatility in international grain markets," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 41-58, June.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Bryant, Henry L., 2001. "The effect of barge and ocean freight price volatility in international grain markets," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 25(1), June.
- Helen B. Bendall & Alan F. Stent, 2007. "Maritime investment strategies with a portfolio of real options," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 441-452, October.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Andrianos E. Tsekrekos, 2011. "The Option to Change the Flag of a Vessel," Chapters,in: International Handbook of Maritime Economics, chapter 3 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kavussanos, Manolis G. & Alizadeh-M, Amir H., 2001. "Seasonality patterns in dry bulk shipping spot and time charter freight rates," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 443-467, December.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Amir H. Alizadeh-M, 2002. "The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure and Risk Premiums in Dry Bulk Shipping Freight Markets," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 36(2), pages 267-304, May.
- Helen B Bendall & Alan F Stent, 2005. "Ship Investment under Uncertainty: Valuing a Real Option on the Maximum of Several Strategies," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 7(1), pages 19-35, March.
- Sødal, Sigbjørn & Koekebakker, Steen & Aadland, Roar, 2008. "Market switching in shipping -- A real option model applied to the valuation of combination carriers," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 183-203, August.
- Panos Kouvelis & Kostas Axarloglou & Vikas Sinha, 2001. "Exchange Rates and the Choice of Ownership Structure of Production Facilities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(8), pages 1063-1080, August.
- Axarloglou, Kostas & Kouvelis, Panos, 2007. "Hysteresis in adjusting the ownership structure of foreign subsidiaries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 494-506, August.
- Kavussanos, Manolis G. & Visvikis, Ilias D. & Batchelor, Roy A., 2004. "Over-the-counter forward contracts and spot price volatility in shipping," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 273-296, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:duthrp:2012_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Periklis Gogas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.