Family money, relational life and (class) relative wealth: an empirical analysis on life satisfaction of secondary school students
We investigate factors affecting happiness on a sample of Italian secondary school students. We find that money matters since family’s house ownership, mortgages and (class) relative wealth significantly affect life satisfaction. Other crucial factors are geographical residence (those living in Milan are significantly less happy), mother’s occupation, trust on family and friendships. Even though we cannot rule out inverse causality and other forms of endogeneity, the characteristics of many of the significant regressors such as family wealth, parental job and geographical residence (not under the decisional power of the student) suggest a direct causality nexus for these factors.
|Date of creation:||08 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0543 62327
Fax: +39 0543 374676
Web page: http://www.aiccon.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emilio Colombo & Alessandra Michelangeli & Luca Stanca, 2014.
"La Dolce Vita : Hedonic Estimates of Quality of Life in Italian Cities,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(8), pages 1404-1418, August.
- Emilio Colombo & Alessandra Michelangeli & Luca Stanca, 2010. "La Dolce Vita: Hedonic Estimates of Quality of Life in Italian Cities," Working Papers 201, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2010.
- Clark, Andrew E., 2011.
"Happiness, Habits and High Rank: Comparisons in Economic and Social Life,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5966, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrew E. Clark, 2008. "Happiness, habits and high rank: Comparisons in economic and social life," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586049, HAL.
- Andrew E. Clark, 2012. "Happiness, Habits and High Rank: Comparisons in Economic and Social Life," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 452, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Andrew E. Clark & Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2008.
"Relative Income, Happiness, and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 95-144, March.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Frijters, Paul & Shields, Michael A., 2007. "Relative Income, Happiness and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles," IZA Discussion Papers 2840, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alfred Michael Dockery, 2005. "The Happiness of Young Australians: Empirical Evidence on the Role of Labour Market Experience," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(255), pages 322-335, December.
- David Dorn & Justina Fischer & Gebhard Kirchgässner & Alfonso Sousa-Poza, 2007. "Is It Culture or Democracy? The Impact of Democracy and Culture on Happiness," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 82(3), pages 505-526, July.
- Becchetti Leonardo & Giachin Elena & Pelloni Alessandra, 2010. "The relationship between social leisure and life satisfaction," wp.comunite 0063, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Luechinger, Simon & Raschky, Paul A., 2009. "Valuing flood disasters using the life satisfaction approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(3-4), pages 620-633, April.
- van de Wetering, E.J. & van Exel, N.J.A. & Brouwer, W.B.F., 2010. "Piecing the jigsaw puzzle of adolescent happiness," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 923-935, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:aiccon:2012_101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Venturi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.