Wealth transfers and the role of collateral when lifetimes are uncertain
We develop a general equilibrium model of wealth transfers in the presence of uncertain lifetimes and default. Without introducing exogenous debt constraints, agents are allowed to make collateral-backed promises at any state of their life span.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225, 22453-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ|
Phone: 021 35271078
Fax: 021 35271084
Web page: http://www.econ.puc-rio.br
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magill, Michael & Quinzii, Martine, 1994.
"Infinite Horizon Incomplete Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 853-80, July.
- Magill,Michael & Quinzii,Martine, 1992. "Infinite horizon,Incomplete markets," Discussion Paper Serie A 384, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1992. "Infinite Horizon Incomplete Markets," DELTA Working Papers 92-26, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1992. "Infinite Horizon Incomplete Markets," Papers 413a, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Magill, M. & Quinzii, M., 1993. "Infinite Horizon Incomplete Markets," Papers 9320, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Leung, Siu Fai, 1994.
"Uncertain Lifetime, the Theory of the Consumer, and the Life Cycle Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1233-39, September.
- Leung, S.F., 1992. "Uncertain Lifetime, the Theory of the Consumer, and the Life Cycle Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 323, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hernandez D., Alejandro & Santos, Manuel S., 1996. "Competitive Equilibria for Infinite-Horizon Economies with Incomplete Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 102-130, October.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Summers, Lawrence H, 1981.
"The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 706-32, August.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Lawrence H. Summers, 1980. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 0445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Páscoa, Mário Rui & Seghir, Abdelkrim, 2009. "Harsh default penalties lead to Ponzi schemes," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 270-286, January.
- CARDIA, Emanuela & MICHEL, Philippe, 2003.
"Altruism, Intergenerational Transfers of Time and Bequests,"
Cahiers de recherche
02-2003, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Cardia, Emanuela & Michel, Philippe, 2004. "Altruism, intergenerational transfers of time and bequests," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1681-1701, June.
- CARDIA, Emanuela & MICHEL, Philippe, 2003. "Altruism, Intergenerational Transfers of Time and Bequests," Cahiers de recherche 2003-04, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jonathan Skinner & Stephen P. Zeldes, 2002. "The Importance of Bequests and Life-Cycle Saving in Capital Accumulation: A New Answer," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 274-278, May.
- Abdelkrim Seghir, 2006. "An overlapping generations model with non-ordered preferences and numeraire-incomplete markets," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer;Associazione per la Matematica, vol. 28(2), pages 95-112, 02.
- Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2003.
"Stationary Equilibria in Asset-Pricing Models with Incomplete Markets and Collateral,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1767-1793, November.
- Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2001. "Stationary Equilibria in Asset-Pricing Models with Incomplete Markets and Collateral," Discussion Papers 1319, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Aloisio Araujo & Mário Rui Páscoa & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2002.
"Collateral Avoids Ponzi Schemes in Incomplete Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1613-1638, July.
- Páscoa, Mario Rui & Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Torres-Martínez, Juan Pablo, 2001. "Collateral avoids Ponzi schemes in incomplete markets," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 419, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- P. Dubey & J. Geanakoplos & M . Shubik, 2001.
"Default and Punishment in General Equilibrium,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
01-07, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 2001. "Default and Punishment in General Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1304, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 2001. "Default and Punishment in General Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1304R5, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Mar 2004.
- Luisa Fuster, 1998.
"Effects of uncertain lifetime and annuity insurance on capital accumulation and growth,"
Economics Working Papers
249, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Luisa Fuster, 1999. "Effects of uncertain lifetime and annuity insurance on capital accumulation and growth," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 13(2), pages 429-445.
- Luisa Fuster, 2000. "Capital Accumulation in an Economy with Dynasties and Uncertain Lifetimes," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(4), pages 650-674, October.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte, 2007.
"Demographic structure and capital accumulation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 411-434, January.
- Florenzano, Monique & Gourdel, Pascal & Pascoa, Mario Rui, 2001. "Overlapping generations models with incomplete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 201-218, December.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2006:i:81:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rio:texdis:527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.