Liquidity Contractions and Prepayment Risk on Collateralized Asset Markets
This paper presents a dynamic general equilibrium model with default and collateral requirements. In contrast with previous literature, our model allows for liquidity contractions and general prepayment specifications. We show that liquidity substantially affects credit and prepayment risks, and that different borrowers may follow differentiated payment strategies: whereas some pay, others prepay or default. The lack of liquidity increases debtors' willingness to continue paying, even thought prepayment cost could be higher than the collateral value. This mechanism rationalizes underwater mortgages. We prove existence of equilibrium, and provide a numerical example illustrating the main determinants of optimal payment strategies.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aloisio Araujo & Mario Rui Pascoa & Juan Pablo Torres-Martinez, 2007.
"Long-lived collateralized assets and bubbles,"
Textos para discussão
542, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Aloisio Araujo & Mário Páscoa & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2008. "Long-lived Collateralized Assets and Bubbles," Working Papers wp284, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Aloisio Araujo & Mário R. Pascoa & Juan Pablo Torres-Martínez, 2010. "Long-lived collateralized assets and bubbles," Working Papers wp314, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Mário R. Páscoa & Aloisio P. Araujo, 2002. "Bancruptcy in a model of unsecured claims," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 455-481.
- Páscoa, Mario Rui & Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Torres-Martínez, Juan Pablo, 2001.
"Collateral Avoids Ponzi Schemes in Incomplete Markets,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
419, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Aloisio Araujo & M�rio Rui P�scoa & Juan Pablo Torres-Mart�nez, 2002. "Collateral Avoids Ponzi Schemes in Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1613-1638, July.
- Sabarwal Tarun, 2003. "Competitive Equilibria With Incomplete Markets and Endogenous Bankruptcy," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-42, January.
- John Geanakoplos & Robert Axtell & J. Doyne Farmer & Peter Howitt & Benjamin Conlee & Jonathan Goldstein & Matthew Hendrey & Nathan M. Palmer & Chun-Yi Yang, 2012.
"Getting at Systemic Risk via an Agent-Based Model of the Housing Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 53-58, May.
- John Geanakoplos & Robert Axtell & Doyne J. Farmer & Peter Howitt & Benjamin Conlee & Jonathan Goldstein & Matthew Hendrey & Nathan M. Palmer & Chun-Yi Yang, 2012. "Getting at Systemic Risk via an Agent-Based Model of the Housing Market," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1852, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Steinert, Mariano & Torres-Martinez, Juan Pablo, 2007. "General equilibrium in CLO markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 709-734, August.
- Karl Schmedders, Felix Kubler, 2001. "Asset Pricing in Models with incomplete markets and default," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 58, Society for Computational Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:wpaper:wp364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatiana Reyes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.