Approximating Moments by Nonlinear Transformations
We provide a methodology to calculate the expectation of a variate x in terms of the moments of a transformation of x. Apart from the intrinsic interest in such a fundamental relation that relates the moments of a variate and its nonlinear transformations, our results can be used in practice to approximate E(x) by the low-order moments of a transformation which can be chosen to give a good approximation for E(x). To obtain an accurate evaluation of the remainder, we derive results for the bounding of functions of complex variables. Our results are useful, for example, in resampling applications like bootstrap confidence intervals for fat-tailed data. They are also useful in economics and finance in quantifying the effect of taking nonlinear transformations on moment conditions and on asset prices which are formulated as expectations.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Backus & Mikhail Chernov & Ian Martin, 2009.
"Disasters implied by equity index options,"
NBER Working Papers
15240, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Backus, David & Chernov, Mikhail & Martin, Ian, 2009. "Disasters implied by equity index options," CEPR Discussion Papers 7416, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Backus & Mikhail Chernov & Ian Martin, 2009. "Disasters Implied by Equity Index Options," Working Papers 09-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Abadir, Karim, 1995.
"An Introduction to Hypergeometric Functions for Economists,"
9510, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Karim Abadir, 1999. "An introduction to hypergeometric functions for economists," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 287-330.
- Abadir, K.M. & Magnus, J.R., 2001.
"Notation in Econometrics : A Proposal for a Standard,"
2001-8, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Karim M. Abadir & Jan R. Magnus, 2002. "Notation in econometrics: a proposal for a standard," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 76-90, June.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Talmain, Gabriel, 2005. "Autocovariance functions of series and of their transforms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 227-252, February.
- Ian W. R. Martin, 2008. "Disasters and the Welfare Cost of Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 74-78, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:22_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dimitrios Vortelinos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.