Hobby Farms and Protection of Farmland in British Columbia
Agricultural land protection near the urban-rural fringe is a goal of many jurisdictions, and none more so than British Columbia, Canada, which uses a provincial-wide zoning scheme to prevent subdivisions and non-agricultural uses of the land. A preferential tax regulation scheme for farmers is also in place, as in many jurisdictions. Small scale hobby farmers are present at the urban fringe near Victoria (the capital) both on land inside and outside of the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR). The goal of this paper is to investigate whether or not the establishment of hobby farms creates problems for agricultural land preservation. We make use of a GIS (geographic information system) to construct detailed spatial variables and we employ two models to analyse our parcel-level data set: an hedonic pricing model and a limited dependent variable model. The conclusions drawn from the results in this paper would likely apply to other jurisdictions which seek to protect agricultural land in the urban fringe.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, B.C., V8W 2Y2|
Phone: (250) 721-8532
Fax: (250) 721-6214
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/~repa/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yue Jin Shi & Timothy T. Phipps & Dale Colyer, 1997. "Agricultural Land Values under Urbanizing Influences," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(1), pages 90-100.
- Cynthia J. Nickerson & Lori Lynch, 2001.
"The Effect of Farmland Preservation Programs on Farmland Prices,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 341-351.
- Nickerson, Cynthia J. & Lynch, Lori, 1999. "The Effect of Farmland Preservation Programs on Farmland Prices," Working Papers 197861, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Paul Gertler & Roland Sturm & Bruce Davidson, 1994. "Information and the Demand for Supplemental Medicare Insurance," NBER Working Papers 4700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geerte Cotteleer & Tracy Stobbe & G. Cornelis van Kooten, 2007. "Farmland Conservation in The Netherlands and British Columbia, Canada: A Comparative Analysis Using GIS-based Hedonic Pricing Models," Working Papers 2007-06, University of Victoria, Department of Economics, Resource Economics and Policy Analysis Research Group.
- John E. Anderson, 1993. "Use-Value Property Tax Assessment: Effects on Land Development," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(3), pages 263-269. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rep:wpaper:2008-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G.C. van Kooten)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.