The Effect of Farmland Preservation Programs on Farmland Prices
Government agencies in urbanizing areas are increasingly utilizing purchase and transfer of development rights programs to preserve farmland and protect local farm economies. This article tests the effect of development restrictions imposed by permanent easement sales on farmland sales prices, using Maryland data. We correct for selectivity bias due to the voluntary nature of these programs in estimating hedonic sales equations. Although preserved parcels' actual land values are lower, the effect of the restrictions is not statistically significant. These findings may encourage additional participation in preservation programs or justify reductions in the easement prices paid by agencies. Copyright 2001, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 83 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John E. Anderson & Howard C. Bunch, 1989. "Agricultural Property Tax Relief: Tax Credits, Tax Rates, and Land Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 65(1), pages 13-22.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John F. McDonald, 1989. "Selectivity Bias in Urban Land Value Functions," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 65(4), pages 341-351.
- Elad, Renata L. & Clifton, Ivery D. & Epperson, James E., 1994.
"Hedonic Estimation Applied To The Farmland Market In Georgia,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Elad, R.L. & Clifton, I.D. & Epperson, J.E., 1994. "Hedonic Estimation Applied to the Farmland Market in Georgia," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 351-366, December.
- Jeffrey Kline & Dennis Wichelns, 1994. "Using Referendum Data to Characterize Public Support for Purchasing Development Rights to Farmland," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 223-233.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:83:y:2001:i:2:p:341-351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.