The Effect of Farmland Preservation Programs on Farmland Prices
Government agencies in urbanizing areas are increasingly utilizing purchase and transfer of development rights programs to preserve farmland and protect local farm economies. This article tests the effect of development restrictions imposed by permanent easement sales on farmland sales prices, using Maryland data. We correct for selectivity bias due to the voluntary nature of these programs in estimating hedonic sales equations. Although preserved parcels' actual land values are lower, the effect of the restrictions is not statistically significant. These findings may encourage additional participation in preservation programs or justify reductions in the easement prices paid by agencies. Copyright 2001, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 83 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Kline & Dennis Wichelns, 1994. "Using Referendum Data to Characterize Public Support for Purchasing Development Rights to Farmland," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 223-233.
- Elad, R.L. & Clifton, I.D. & Epperson, J.E., 1994.
"Hedonic Estimation Applied to the Farmland Market in Georgia,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 351-366, December.
- Elad, Renata L. & Clifton, Ivery D. & Epperson, James E., 1994. "Hedonic Estimation Applied To The Farmland Market In Georgia," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John F. McDonald, 1989. "Selectivity Bias in Urban Land Value Functions," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 65(4), pages 341-351.
- John E. Anderson & Howard C. Bunch, 1989. "Agricultural Property Tax Relief: Tax Credits, Tax Rates, and Land Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 65(1), pages 13-22. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:83:y:2001:i:2:p:341-351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.