Unemployment Risk and the Distribution of Assets
How does the distribution of assets affect job search decisions? We analyze unemployed workers and how their asset holdings affect the allocation to jobs of different productivity. In the absence of insurance, workers with low asset holdings direct their search to low productivity jobs because they offer a low wage and low risk. We show that this occurs under a condition closely related to Decreasing Relative Risk Aversion. There is perfect segregation of asset holders into job productivities even when assets holdings are private. We also find that for a given worker, the productivity of jobs she applies for is decreasing in the duration of unemployment. As assets gradually deplete, she takes more secure, low wage jobs. When workers are heterogeneous in skills, there is a trade off between wages and insurance. The skilled but poor worker will necessarily go for the less ambitious, low wage job in order to hedge risk.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mikhail Golosov & Pricila Maziero & Guido Menzio, 2012.
"Taxation and Redistribution of Residual Income Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
18151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mikhail Golosov & Pricila Maziero & Guido Menzio, 2013. "Taxation and Redistribution of Residual Income Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(6), pages 1160-1204.
- Mikhail Golosov & Pricila Maziero & Guido Menzio, 2012. "Taxation and Redistribution of Residual Income Inequality," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-022, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jerez, Belén, 2014.
"Competitive equilibrium with search frictions: A general equilibrium approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 153(C), pages 252-286.
- Jerez, Belén, 2012. "Competitive equilibrium with search frictions : a general equilibrium approach," UC3M Working papers. Economics we1235, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Michael Peters, 1997. "A Competitive Distribution of Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(1), pages 97-123.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed013:337. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.