Financing Growth without Banks: Korean Housing Repo Contract
Imperfect financial intermediation is a key bottleneck in economic development. Korea's unique Jeonse or housing repo contract channels funds directly from tenant/lenders to landlord/entrepreneurs, by-passing the banking system. In a housing repo, the landlord/entrepreneur puts up the house as collateral when borrowing from the tenant/lender. The lender's loan is secured by living in the collateral asset, lowering the cost of capital and increasing credit. Jeonse has been the dominant form of rental contract in Korea, and has served as a mode of direct debt financing that by-passes the banking sector.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1994.
"Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector,"
95-1, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and the Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-91, August.
- Holmström, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," IDEI Working Papers 40, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Follain, James & Lim, Gill-Chin & Renaud, Bertrand, 1980. "The demand for housing in developing countries: The case of Korea," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 315-336, May.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Andrea L. Eisfeldt & Adriano A. Rampini, 2009.
"Leasing, Ability to Repossess, and Debt Capacity,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(4), pages 1621-1657, April.
- Adriano Rampini & Andrea Eisfeldt, 2007. "Leasing, Ability to Repossess, and Debt Capacity," Working Papers 07-19, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrea Eisfeldt & Adriano Rampini, 2006. "Leasing, Ability to Repossess, and Debt Capacity," 2006 Meeting Papers 461, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed013:328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.