Unemployment Insurance in a Life Cycle General Equilibrium Model with Human Capital
We evaluate the welfare gains of extending the duration and increasing the replacement ratio of the current unemployment insurance system in US. To this end, we build a general equilibrium overlapping generations model with on the job human capital accumulation. The model is able, among other things, to match the inequality of outstanding insurance in the economy (through the endogenous wealth distribution). The key features of the model are (i) agents are borrowing constraint, (ii) nding a job requires to exert (unobservable) eort, (iii) nite life span, and (iv) human capital accumulates only while the agent is employed. We nd that, respect to the class of models usually used to study this problem, the last two nobel features substantially increase the welfare gains of more unemployment insurance. The optimal policy prescribes increasing the replacement ratio up to 90% and the duration to 9 months.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Gary D & Imrohoroglu, Ayse, 1992.
"The Role of Unemployment Insurance in an Economy with Liquidity Constraints and Moral Hazard,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 118-142, February.
- Gary D. Hansen & Ayse Imrohoroglu, 1990. "The Role of Unemployment Insurance in an Economy with Liquidity Constraints and Moral Hazard," UCLA Economics Working Papers 583, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hansen, G.D. & Imrohoroglu, A., 1990. "The Role Of Unemployment Insurance In An Economy With Liquidity Constraints And Moral Hazard," Papers 21, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Claudio Michelacci & Hernán Ruffo, 2015. "Optimal Life Cycle Unemployment Insurance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 105(2), pages 816-859, February.
- Claudio Michelacci & Hernan Ruffo, 2014. "Optimal Life Cycle Unemployment Insurance," EIEF Working Papers Series 1411, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2014.
- Michelacci, Claudio & Ruffo, Hernán, 2014. "Optimal Life Cycle Unemployment Insurance," CEPR Discussion Papers 10167, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.