A polyhederal approximation approach to concave numerical dynamic programming
This paper describes a method for solving concave numerical dynamic programming problems which is based a pair of polyhederal approximations of concave functions. The method is robust in that (i) it is globally convergent, (ii) it produces exact error bounds on the computed value function which can in theory be made arbitrarily tight, and (iii) its implementation boils down to solving a sequence of linear programs. This is true regardless of the dimensionality of the state space, the pattern of binding constraints, and the smoothness of model primitives. Numerical examples suggest that the method is capable of producing accurate solutions in an ecient manner.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Phelan & Robert M. Townsend, 1991. "Computing Multi-Period, Information-Constrained Optima," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(5), pages 853-881.
- John Stachurski, 2008.
"Continuous State Dynamic Programming via Nonexpansive Approximation,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 141-160, March.
- John Stachurski, 2006. "Continuous State Dynamic Programming via Nonexpansive Approximation," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 961, The University of Melbourne.
- John Stachurski, 2006. "Continuous State Dynamic Programming Via Nonexpansive Approximation," KIER Working Papers 618, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2013. "Credit Shocks and Aggregate Fluctuations in an Economy with Production Heterogeneity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(6), pages 1055-1107.
- Julia K. Thomas & Aubhik Khan, 2010. "Credit Shocks and Aggregate Fluctuations in an Economy with Production Heterogeneity," 2010 Meeting Papers 801, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2011. "Credit Shocks and Aggregate Fluctuations in an Economy with Production Heterogeneity," NBER Working Papers 17311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, 1996. "Optimal Investment with Costly Reversibility," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(4), pages 581-593.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Moore, John, 1997. "Credit Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 211-248, April.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, "undated". "Credit Cycles," Discussion Papers 1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995. "Credit Cycles," NBER Working Papers 5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- Kenneth L. Judd & Sevin Yeltekin & James Conklin, 2003. "Computing Supergame Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1239-1254, 07.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Stachurski, John, 2009. "Equilibrium storage with multiple commodities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 80-96, January.
- Kazuo Nishimura & John Stachurski, 2007. "Equilibrium Storage With Multiple Commodities," CAMA Working Papers 2007-11, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Manuel S. Santos & Jesus Vigo-Aguiar, 1998. "Analysis of a Numerical Dynamic Programming Algorithm Applied to Economic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 409-426, March.
- Manuel S. Santos, 2000. "Accuracy of Numerical Solutions using the Euler Equation Residuals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1377-1402, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)