Asymptotic Distribution Theory for Break Point Estimators in Models Estimated via 2SLS
In this paper, we present a limiting distribution theory for the break point estimator in a linear regression model estimated via Two Stage Least Squares under two different scenarios regarding the magnitude of the parameter change between regimes. First, we consider the case where the parameter change is of fixed magnitude; in this case the resulting distribution depends on distribution of the data and is not of much practical use for inference. Second, we consider the case where the magnitude of the parameter change shrinks with the sample size; in this case, the resulting distribution can be used to construct approximate large sample confidence intervals for the break point. The finite sample performance of these intervals are analyzed in a small simulation study and the intervals are illustrated via an application to the New Keynesian Phillips curve.
|Date of creation:||04 Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bhattacharya, P.K., 1987. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a change-point in the distribution of independent random variables: General multiparameter case," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 183-208, December.
- Jinyong Hahn & Atsushi Inoue, 2002. "A Monte Carlo Comparison Of Various Asymptotic Approximations To The Distribution Of Instrumental Variables Estimators," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 309-336.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1996. "Optimal Tests for Parameter Instability in the Generalized Method of Moments Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1085-1107, September.
- Ghysels, Eric & Hall, Alastair, 1990. "Are consumption-based intertemporal capital asset pricing models structural?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 121-139.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Andrews, Donald W. K. & Fair, Ray C., 1987.
"Inference in Econometric Models with Structural Change,"
636, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Ray C. Fair, 1987. "Inference in Econometric Models with Structural Change," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 832, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Hall, Alastair R & Sen, Amit, 1999. "Structural Stability Testing in Models Estimated by Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 335-48, July.
- Hall, Alastair R. & Han, Sanggohn & Boldea, Otilia, 2008. "Inference regarding multiple structural changes in linear models estimated via two stage least squares," MPRA Paper 9251, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Jun 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.