Estimating and Testing Multiple Structural Changes in Models with Endogenous Regressors
We consider the problem of estimating and testing for multiple breaks in a single equation framework with regressors that are endogenous, i.e., correlated with the errors. First, we show based on standard assumptions about the regressors, instruments and errors that the second stage regression of the instrumental variable (IV) procedure involves regressors and errors that satisfy all the assumptions in Perron and Qu (2006) so that the results about consistency, rate of convergence and limit distributions of the estimates of the break dates, as well as the limit distributions of the tests, are obtained as simple consequences. More importantly from a practical perspective, we show that even in the presence of endogenous regressors, it is still preferable to simply estimate the break dates and test for structural change using the usual ordinary least-squares (OLS) framework. It delivers estimates of the break dates with higher precision and tests with higher power compared to those obtained using an IV method. To illustrate the relevance of our theoretical results, we consider the stability of the New Keynesian hybrid Phillips curve. IV-based methods do not indicate any instability. On the other hand, OLS-based ones strongly indicate a change in 1991:1 and that after this date the model looses all explanatory power.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 270 Bay State Road, Boston, MA 02215|
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Pierre Perron, 2008.
"Testing for Multiple Structural Changes in Cointegrated Regression Models,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1216, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Kejriwal, Mohitosh & Perron, Pierre, 2010. "Testing for Multiple Structural Changes in Cointegrated Regression Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(4), pages 503-522.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Pierre Perron, 2006. "Testing for Multiple Structural Changes in Cointegrated Regression Models," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-051, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Pierre Perron, 2007. "Testing for Multiple Structural Changes in Cointegrated Regression Models," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2008-020, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Jushan Bai, 2000.
"Vector Autoregressive Models with Structural Changes in Regression Coefficients and in Variance-Covariance Matrices,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 1(2), pages 303-339, November.
- Jushan Bai, 1999. "Vector Autoregressive Models with Structural Changes in Regression Coefficients and in Variance-Covariance Matrices," CEMA Working Papers 24, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics, revised Oct 2000.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2007.
"Why Has U.S. Inflation Become Harder to Forecast?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(s1), pages 3-33, 02.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Pierre Perron, 2006.
"The Limit Distribution of the Estimates in Cointegrated Regression Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2006-064, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Kejriwal, Mohitosh & Perron, Pierre, 2008. "The limit distribution of the estimates in cointegrated regression models with multiple structural changes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 59-73, September.
- Boldea, O. & Hall, A.R. & Han, S., 2012.
"Asymptotic distribution theory for break point estimators in models estimated via 2SLS,"
Other publications TiSEM
2e2fbb75-c4ff-4279-8243-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hall, Alastair R. & Han, Sanggohn & Boldea, Otilia, 2008. "Asymptotic Distribution Theory for Break Point Estimators in Models Estimated via 2SLS," MPRA Paper 9472, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tatevik Sekhposyan & Barbara Rossi, 2008.
"Has modelsí forecasting performance for US output growth and inflation changed over time, and when?,"
09-02, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Barbara Rossi & Tatevik Sekhposyan, 2010. "Has Models' Forecasting Performance for US Output Growth and Inflation Changed over Time, and When?," Working Papers 10-16, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Perron, Pierre & Qu, Zhongjun, 2006. "Estimating restricted structural change models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 373-399, October.
- Kurmann, Andre, 2007. "VAR-based estimation of Euler equations with an application to New Keynesian pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 767-796, March.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bos:wpaper:wp2008-017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gillian Gurish)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.