Stock market reactions to wars and political risks: A cliometric perspective for a falling empire
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Christos Kollias & Stephanos Papadamou & Apostolos Stagiannis, 2010. "Armed Conflicts And Capital Markets: The Case Of The Israeli Military Offensive In The Gaza Strip," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 357-365.
- Massimo Guidolin & Eliana La Ferrara, 2010.
"The economic effects of violent conflict: Evidence from asset market reactions,"
Journal of Peace Research,
Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 47(6), pages 671-684, November.
- Massimo Guidolin & Eliana La Ferrara, 2005. "The economic effects of violent conflict: evidence from asset market reactions," Working Papers 2005-066, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- V. Necla Geyikdagi & M. Yasar Geyikdagi, 2011. "Foreign direct investment in the Ottoman Empire: Attitudes and political risk," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(3), pages 375-400.
- Claude Diebolt & Michael Haupert, 2018. "Cliometrics," Working Papers of BETA 2018-01, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Rigobon, Roberto & Sack, Brian, 2005.
"The effects of war risk on US financial markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1769-1789, July.
- Rigobon, Roberto & Sack, Brian P., 2003. "The Effects of War Risk on U.S. Financial Markets," Working papers 4417-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian Sack, 2003. "The Effects of War Risk on U.S. Financial Markets," NBER Working Papers 9609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian P. Sack, 2003. "The effects of war risk on U.S. financial markets," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (US).
- Avni Önder Hanedar, 2016. "Effects of wars and boycotts on international trade: Evidence from the late Ottoman Empire," The International Trade Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 59-79, January.
- zmucur, S leyman & Pamuk, Sevket, 2002. "Real Wages And Standards Of Living In The Ottoman Empire, 1489 1914," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 62(02), pages 293-321, June.
- Le Bris, David, 2012. "Wars, inflation and stock market returns in France, 1870–1945," Financial History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 337-361, December.
- Arta Pisha & Besa Vorpsi & Neraida Hoxhaj & Clemens Jobst & Thomas Scheiber & Kalina Dimitrova & Martin Ivanov & Sophia Lazaretou & George Virgil Stoenescu & Adriana Aloman & Elisabeta Blejan & Brindu, 2015. "South-Eastern European Monetary and Economic Statistics from the Nineteenth Century to World War II," Publications, Bank of Greece, number 1 edited by Bank of Albania & Oesterreichische Nationalbank & Bulgarian National Bank & Bulgarian Academy of Sci, December.
- Geyikdagi, V. Necla, 2011. "French Direct Investments in the Ottoman Empire Before World War I," Enterprise & Society, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 525-561, September.
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier, 2014.
"Large shocks in the volatility of the Dow Jones Industrial Average index: 1928–2013,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 188-199.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné, 2014. "Large shocks in the volatility of the Dow Jones Industrial Average index: 1928–2013," Post-Print hal-01122507, HAL.
- Avni Önder Hanedar & Elmas Yaldız Hanedar & Erdost Torun, 2016. "The end of the Ottoman Empire as reflected in the İstanbul bourse," Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(3), pages 145-156, July.
- Asaf Zussman & Noam Zussman & Morten Ørregaard Nielsen, 2008.
"Asset Market Perspectives on the Israeli–Palestinian Conflict,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 75(297), pages 84-115, February.
- Asaf Zussman & Noam Zussman & Morten Nielsen, 2006. "Asset Market Perspectives on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict," Bank of Israel Working Papers 2006.02, Bank of Israel.
- Amelie Brune & Thorsten Hens & Marc Rieger & Mei Wang, 2015. "The war puzzle: contradictory effects of international conflicts on stock markets," International Review of Economics, Springer;Happiness Economics and Interpersonal Relations (HEIRS), vol. 62(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Dimic, Nebojsa & Orlov, Vitaly & Piljak, Vanja, 2015. "The political risk factor in emerging, frontier, and developed stock markets," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 239-245.
- Le Bris, David, 2012. "Wars, inflation and stock market returns in France, 1870–1945 - ERRATUM," Financial History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 362-362, December.
- Amihud, Yakov & Wohl, Avi, 2004. "Political news and stock prices: The case of Saddam Hussein contracts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 1185-1200, May.
- Kollias, Christos & Kyrtsou, Catherine & Papadamou, Stephanos, 2013. "The effects of terrorism and war on the oil price–stock index relationship," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 743-752.
- Zeynep Ãnder & Can Åimga-Mugan, 2006. "How Do Political and Economic News Affect Emerging Markets? Evidence from Argentina and Turkey," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 50-77, July.
- Abramitzky, Ran, 2015. "Economics and the Modern Economic Historian," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 75(04), pages 1240-1251, December.
- Mathy, Gabriel P., 2016. "Stock volatility, return jumps and uncertainty shocks during the Great Depression," Financial History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 165-192, August.
- Choudhry, Taufiq, 2010. "World War II events and the Dow Jones industrial index," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1022-1031, May.
- Ran Abramitzky, 2015. "Economics and the Modern Economic Historian," NBER Working Papers 21636, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hudson, Robert & Urquhart, Andrew, 2015. "War and stock markets: The effect of World War Two on the British stock market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 166-177.
- Elena Corallo, 2007. "The effect of the war risk: a comparison of the consequences of the two Iraq wars," International Review of Economics, Springer;Happiness Economics and Interpersonal Relations (HEIRS), vol. 54(3), pages 371-382, September.
- Hanedar Avni Önder, 2015. "Foreign Bank Entry in the Late Ottoman Empire: The Case of the Imperial Ottoman Bank," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 207-223, December.
- Raphaël Franck & Miriam Krausz, 2009. "Institutional changes, wars and stock market risk in an emerging economy: evidence from the Israeli stock exchange, 1945–1960," Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 3(2), pages 141-164, June.
More about this item
KeywordsCliometrics; The İstanbul stock exchange; stocks; the Turco-Italian war; the Balkan wars; Structural breaks;
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- N25 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Asia including Middle East
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ARA-2018-04-16 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-HIS-2018-04-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MAC-2018-04-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-RMG-2018-04-16 (Risk Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:85600. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .