Violation duration as a better way of VaR model evaluation : evidence from Turkish market portfolio
Financial crisis those we have been experienced during last two decades encouraged the efforts of both academicians and the market participants to develop clear representations of the risk exposure of a �nancial institute. As a useful tool for measuring market risk of a portfolio, Value-at-Risk has emerged as the standard. However, there are several alternative Value-at-Risk implementations which may pro- duce signi�cantly di¤erent Value-at-Risk forecasts. Thus, evaluation of Value-at-Risk forecasts is as crucial as VaR itself. In this paper I will use the methodology which has described by Christoffersen and Pelletier and I extended the methodology to create duration based analogous of unconditional coverage, conditional coverage and inde- pendence tests. I evaluated 14 Value-at-Risk implementation by using a Turkish Market portfolio which contain foreing currency, stock and bonds.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ekrem Kilic, 2005. "Forecasting Volatility of Turkish Markets: A Comparison of Thin and Thick Models," Econometrics 0510007, EconWPA.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, December.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999. "Nonparametric Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115, December.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jón Daníelsson & Casper G. de Vries, 1998. "Beyond the Sample: Extreme Quantile and Probability Estimation," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-016/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jon Danielsson & Casper G. de Vries, 1998. "Beyond the Sample: Extreme Quantile and Probability Estimation," FMG Discussion Papers dp298, Financial Markets Group.
- Jose A. Lopez, 1999. "Methods for evaluating value-at-risk estimates," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 3-17.
- Jose A. Lopez, 1998. "Methods for evaluating value-at-risk estimates," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 119-124.
- Jose Lopez, 1998. "Methods for evaluating value-at-risk estimates," Research Paper 9802, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Peter Christoffersen, 2004. "Backtesting Value-at-Risk: A Duration-Based Approach," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 84-108.
- Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2003. "Backtesting Value-at-Risk: A Duration-Based Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-05, CIRANO.
- Peter Christoffersen & Jinyong Hahn & Atsushi Inoue, 1999. "Testing, Comparing, and Combining Value at Risk Measures," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Susan Thomas & Mandira Sarma & Ajay Shah, 2003. "Selection of Value-at-Risk models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 337-358.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.