Weighted Additive DEA Models Associated with Dataset Standardization Techniques
This paper uncovers the“mysterious veil”above the formulations and concerned properties of existing weighted additive data envelopment analysis (WADD) models associated with dataset standardization techniques. Based on the truth that the formulation of objective functions in WADD models seems random and confused for users, the study investigates the correspondence relationship between the formulation of objective functions by statistical data-based weights aggregating slacks in WADD models and the pre-standardization of original datasets before using the traditional ADD model in terms of satisfying unit and translation invariance. Our work presents a statistical background for WADD models’ formulations, and makes them become more interpretive and more convenient to be computed and practically applied. Based on the pre-standardization techniques, two new WADD models satisfying unit invariance are formulated to enrich the family of WADD models. We compare all WADD models in some concerned properties, and give special attention to the (in)efficiency discrimination power of them. Moreover, some suggestions guiding theoretical and practical applications of WADD models are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Beniamina Buzzo Margari & Fabrizio Erbetta & Carmelo Petraglia & Massimiliano Piacenza, 2006.
"Regulatory and Environmental Effects on Public Transit Efficiency. A Mixed DEA-SFA Approach,"
CERIS Working Paper
200613, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Beniamina Margari & Fabrizio Erbetta & Carmelo Petraglia & Massimiliano Piacenza, 2007. "Regulatory and environmental effects on public transit efficiency: a mixed DEA-SFA approach," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 131-151, October.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2009. "An occurrence of multiple projections in DEA-based measurement of technical efficiency: Theoretical comparison among DEA models from desirable properties," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 764-794, July.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Larry M., 2009. "Data envelopment analysis (DEA) - Thirty years on," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Glass, J.C. & McCallion, G. & McKillop, D.G. & Stringer, K., 2006. "A 'technically level playing-field' profit efficiency analysis of enforced competition between publicly funded institutions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1601-1626, August.
- W. Cooper & L. Seiford & K. Tone & J. Zhu, 2007. "Some models and measures for evaluating performances with DEA: past accomplishments and future prospects," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 151-163, December.
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- H. Fried & C. Lovell & S. Schmidt & S. Yaisawarng, 2002. "Accounting for Environmental Effects and Statistical Noise in Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 157-174, January.
- Ali, Agha Iqbal & Lerme, Catherine S. & Seiford, Lawrence M., 1995. "Components of efficiency evaluation in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 462-473, February.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Removing the impact of environment with units-invariant efficient frontier analysis: An illustrative case study with intertemporal panel data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 535-544, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:55072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.