Consumption and Income Inequality During the Transition to a Market Economy: Poland, 1985–1992
This paper challenges the conventional wisdom that income and consumption inequality in Poland increased substantially following the economic transition in 1989–90. Using microdata from the 1985–92 Household Budget Surveys, we find that overall income inequality increased in 1989 but subsequently declined to pretransition levels. The distribution of consumption reveals a similar pattern. Social transfers are shown to have played an important role in mitigating increases in overall income inequality during the transition. However, the relative well-being of different socioeconomic groups was altered and, despite the reasonably good targeting of transfers, there were clear winners and losers in the transition process.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Publication status:||Published in IMF Staff Papers Special Issue, IMF Annual Research Conference 2001.47(2001): pp. 121-154|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Szulc, Adam, 1995. "Measurement of Poverty: Poland in the 1980s," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(2), pages 191-205, June.
- Olivier Blanchard & Kenneth Froot & Jeffrey Sachs, 1994. "The Transition in Eastern Europe, Volume 2: Restructuring," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number blan94-3, April.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1984. "Inequality Decomposition by Population Subgroups," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1369-1385, November.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Kenneth A. Froot & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1994. "The Transition in Eastern Europe, Volume 1," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number blan94-2, April.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Kenneth A. Froot & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1994. "Introduction to "The Transition in Eastern Europe, Volume 1"," NBER Chapters, in: The Transition in Eastern Europe, Volume 1, pages 1-18 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brunon Gorecki, 1994. "Evidence of a New Shape of Income Distribution in Poland," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(3), pages 32-51, June.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Brunon Gorecki, 1994. "Evidence of a New Shape of Income Distribution in Poland," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 32-51, June.
- McClements, L. D., 1977. "Equivalence scales for children," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 191-210, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:54356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.