On the demand pressure hypothesis in option markets: the case of a redundant option
Gârleanu et al. (RFS 2009) show that a demand pressure phenomenon exists in option markets due to limit to arbitrage. They assert that if arbitrage is perfect, option demand does not impact option price. In this note we show that there is a positive relation between the demand for a redundant option and the option price, which is related to the beliefs of constrained investors regarding future payoffs.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, Lawrence E & Gurel, Eitan, 1986. " Price and Volume Effects Associated with Changes in the S&P 500 List: New Evidence for the Existence of Price Pressures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 815-829, September.
- Nicolas P. B. Bollen & Robert E. Whaley, 2004. "Does Net Buying Pressure Affect the Shape of Implied Volatility Functions?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 711-753, 04.
- Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen & Allen M. Poteshman, 2009.
"Demand-Based Option Pricing,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(10), pages 4259-4299, October.
- Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje & Poteshman, Allen M, 2005. "Demand-Based Option Pricing," CEPR Discussion Papers 5420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen & Allen M. Poteshman, 2005. "Demand-Based Option Pricing," NBER Working Papers 11843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 1986. " Do Demand Curves for Stocks Slope Down?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 579-590, July.
- Ernest N. Biktimirov & Arnold R. Cowan & Bradford D. Jordan, 2004. "Do Demand Curves for Small Stocks Slope Down?," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 27(2), pages 161-178. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:52497. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.