Whither Income Inequalities?
Some major trends in world income inequalities and relevant economic trends are reviewed here. In recent decades, there have been indications of a reversal of the growing income divergence between North and South after over half a millennium, especially in the last two centuries. Meanwhile, income inequalities within most countries have been growing again, increasing social tensions, which may jeopardize growth in some countries and reshape global economic competition. In the 1960s, when the profit rate and capital’s share of national income in Western countries were highest, income inequality within countries was at a historical low. Since the 1980s, the increasing share of profits in national income and rising inequality within countries have gone hand in hand.
|Date of creation:||11 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippon, Thomas & Reshef, Ariell, 2009.
"Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7282, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Philippon & Ariell Reshef, 2009. "Wages and Human Capital in the U.S. Financial Industry: 1909-2006," NBER Working Papers 14644, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2007.
"What you export matters,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2005. "What You Export Matters," Working Paper Series rwp05-063, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "What You Export Matters," CEPR Discussion Papers 5444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "What You Export Matters," NBER Working Papers 11905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"The Social Cost of Foreign Exchange Reserves,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5483, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- V. Popov., 2013.
"Global Imbalances: An Unconventional View,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 1.
- Vladimir Popov, 2010. "Global Imbalances: Non-conventional View," Working Papers w0160, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Jomo K.S. & M. Rock, 1998. "Economic Diversification And Primary Commodity Processing In The Second-Tier South-East Asian Newly Industrializing Countries," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 136, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Vladimir Popov, 2012. "Russia: austerity and deficit reduction in historical and comparative perspective," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 313-334.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:52154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.