The Chilean Labor Market: Job Creation, Quality, Inclusiveness, and Future Challenges
This paper analyzes recent labor market developments in the Chilean economy. The evidence shows a booming labor market with strong job creation since 2010. Most of the jobs created during the past three years are quality jobs—that is, jobs with a written contract and whose employers have made the corresponding payments toward pensions, healthcare, and unemployment insurance. We show that a combination of economic growth and specific policies seems to be the driving force behind the strong creation of quality jobs. Additionally, we show that the rapid job creation has been inclusive and constitutes one of the potential explanations for the fall in income inequality observed during the past three years. However, a further reduction in income inequality remains an important challenge for the future. Greater access to a quality education for vulnerable groups is the key to achieving that goal.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Parro, 2012. "International Evidence on the Gender Gap in Education over the Past Six Decades: A Puzzle and an Answer to It," Journal of Human Capital, University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(2), pages 150 - 185.
- Correa, Juan & Lorca, Miguel & Parro, Francisco, 2014. "Capital-Skill Complementarity: Does capital disaggregation matter?," MPRA Paper 61285, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francisco Gallego, 2010.
"Skill Premium in Chile: Studying Skill Upgrading in the South,"
Documentos de Trabajo
377, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Gallego, Francisco A., 2012. "Skill Premium in Chile: Studying Skill Upgrading in the South," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 594-609.
- Francisco Gallego, 2010. "Skill Premium in Chile: Studying Skill Upgrading in the South," Working Papers ClioLab 9, EH Clio Lab. Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Juan A. Correa & Francisco Parro & Loreto Reyes, 2015. "Self-selection in the market of teachers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(13), pages 1331-1349, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50755. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.