The Impact of International Remittances on Income, Work Efforts, Poverty and Inequality: Evidence from Vietnam
This study provides new empirical evidence on the impact of international remittances. Using data from the two most recent Vietnam Household and Living Standard Surveys, the paper estimates the effect of remittances on per capita income, per capita expenditure, work efforts, poverty and inequality. The estimates suggest that a rise in international remittances in Vietnam increases household income and expenditure. Yet, the study also finds evidence that international remittances may create a moral hazard problem by inducing disincentives to work. Moreover, the study suggests that international remittances, at the least in the short run, do not reduce poverty. They may even lead to an increase in inequality. Overall, the study casts doubts on the view that international remittances may play a crucial role in reducing poverty in developing countries.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cristina Cattaneo, 2009.
"International Migration, the Brain Drain and Poverty: A Cross-country Analysis,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(8), pages 1180-1202, 08.
- Cristina Cattaneo, 2008. "International Migration, the Brain Drain and Poverty:A Cross Country Analysis," KITeS Working Papers 212, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jan 2008.
- Cuong Nguyen Viet, 2008. "Do Foreign Remittances Matter to Poverty and Inequality? Evidence from Vietnam," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(1), pages 1-11.
- Cox, Donald & Eser, Zekeriya & Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1998.
"Motives for private transfers over the life cycle: An analytical framework and evidence for Peru,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 57-80, February.
- Donald Cox & Zekeriya Eser & Emmanuel Jimenez, 1996. "Motives for Private Transfers over the Life Cycle: An Analytical Framework and Evidence for Peru," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 327., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Richard H. Adams, 2006.
"International Remittances and the Household: Analysis and Review of Global Evidence,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 396-425, December.
- Adams, Richard H. Jr., 2007. "International remittances and the household : analysis and review of global evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4116, The World Bank.
- Rapoport, Hillel & Docquier, Frédéric, 2005.
"The Economics of Migrants’ Remittances,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1531, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rapoport, Hillel & Docquier, Frederic, 2006. "The Economics of Migrants' Remittances," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
- Yoko Niimi & Thai Hung Pham & Barry Reilly, 2009.
"Determinants of Remittances: Recent Evidence Using Data on Internal Migrants in Vietnam,"
Asian Economic Journal,
East Asian Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 19-39, 03.
- Niimi, Yoko & Pham, Thai Hung & Reilly, Barry, 2008. "Determinants of remittances : recent evidence using data on internal migrants in Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4586, The World Bank.
- Jean-Paul Azam & Flore Gubert, 2006.
"Migrants' Remittances and the Household in Africa: A Review of Evidence,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 426-462, December.
- Azam, Jean-Paul & Gubert, Flore, 2006. "Migrants' Remittances and the Household in Africa: A Review of Evidence," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5126, Paris Dauphine University.
- Edgard R. Rodriguez & Susan Horton, 1995. "International Return Migration and Remittances in the Philippines," Working Papers horton-95-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Edgar R. Rodriguez, 1996. "International Migrants' Remittances in the Philippines," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 427-32, April.
- John Anyanwu & Andrew E. O. Erhijakpor, 2010. "Do International Remittances Affect Poverty in Africa?," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 22(1), pages 51-91.
- Alejandra Cox Edwards & Manuelita Ureta, 2003. "International Migration, Remittances, and Schooling: Evidence from El Salvador," NBER Working Papers 9766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- World Bank, 2008. "The Migration and Remittances Factbook 2008," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6383.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.