The Dynamic Effects of Crude Oil and Natural Gas Prices on Iran's Methanol
Petroleum and petrochemicals prices movements have always been at the core of economic research agenda not only because of its crucial effect on the cash flows of oil-related businesses, but also due to the far-reaching implications of oil price uncertainty on the macro-economy and the financial markets. It is not surprising therefore that in the energy economics literature there is a plethora of empirical studies examining the issue of modeling movements and risk management. As a case study, this paper investigates the dynamic relationship between Iran’s crude oil price, natural gas price and methanol price which is one of the most important non-oil exports of the oil-exporting country. To do so, the weekly data from first week of 2005:1 to the third week 2013:5 in a VECM framework is applied. The results show that in the long-run, oil and gas prices hikes leads to proportional increase in methanol price while in the short-run, this impact is not significant.
|Date of creation:||12 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Komijani, Akbar & Gandali Alikhani, Nadiya & Naderi, Esmaeil, 2012.
"The Long-run and Short-run Effects of Crude Oil Price on Methanol Market in Iran,"
45975, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Akbar Komijani & Nadiya Gandali Alikhani & Esmaeil Naderi, 2013. "The Long-run and Short-run Effects of Crude Oil Price on Methanol Market in Iran," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 3(1), pages 43-50.
- Brown, Stephen P. A. & Yücel, Mine K., 2007.
"What drives natural gas prices?,"
0703, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Waston, Mark, 1997.
"Systematic Monetary Policy and the Effects of Oil Price Shocks,"
97-25, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Mark Watson, 1997. "Systematic Monetary Policy and the Effects of Oil Price Shocks," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1), pages 91-157.
- Mehrara, Mohsen & Oskoui, Kamran Niki, 2007. "The sources of macroeconomic fluctuations in oil exporting countries: A comparative study," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 365-379, May.
- Joëts, Marc & Mignon, Valérie, 2012.
"On the link between forward energy prices: A nonlinear panel cointegration approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1170-1175.
- Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2011. "On the link between forward energy prices: A nonlinear panel cointegration approach," EconomiX Working Papers 2011-25, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Cheong, Chin Wen, 2009. "Modeling and forecasting crude oil markets using ARCH-type models," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2346-2355, June.
- Masih, Mansur & Algahtani, Ibrahim & De Mello, Lurion, 2010. "Price dynamics of crude oil and the regional ethylene markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1435-1444, November.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Cheong, Chongcheul & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2011. "Structural changes and volatility transmission in crude oil markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(23), pages 4317-4324.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983. "Dynamic Factor Demands and the Effects of Energy Price Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1066-79, December.
- Jiménez-Rodríguez, Rebeca & Sánchez, Marcelo, 2004.
"Oil price shocks and real GDP growth: empirical evidence for some OECD countries,"
Working Paper Series
0362, European Central Bank.
- Rebeca Jimenez-Rodriguez & Marcelo Sanchez, 2005. "Oil price shocks and real GDP growth: empirical evidence for some OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 201-228.
- Bashiri Behmiri, Niaz & Pires Manso, José R., 2012. "Does Portuguese economy support crude oil conservation hypothesis?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 628-634.
- Masih, A. Mansur M. & Albinali, Khaled & DeMello, Lurion, 2010. "Price dynamics of natural gas and the regional methanol markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1372-1378, March.
- Hamilton, James D, 1983. "Oil and the Macroeconomy since World War II," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 228-48, April.
- Matteo Manera & Alessandro Cologni, 2005.
"Oil Prices, Inflation and Interest Rates in a Structural Cointegrated VAR Model for the G-7 Countries,"
2005.101, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cologni, Alessandro & Manera, Matteo, 2008. "Oil prices, inflation and interest rates in a structural cointegrated VAR model for the G-7 countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 856-888, May.
- François Lescaroux & Valérie Mignon, 2008.
"On the Influence of Oil Prices on Economic Activity and Other Macroeconomic and Financial Variables,"
2008-05, CEPII research center.
- François Lescaroux & Valérie Mignon, 2008. "On the influence of oil prices on economic activity and other macroeconomic and financial variables ," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(4), pages 343-380, December.
- Sel Dibooğlu & Eisa Aleisa, 2004. "Oil Prices, Terms of Trade Shocks, and Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Saudi Arabia," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(1), pages 50-62, 01.
- Farzanegan, Mohammad Reza, 2011. "Oil revenue shocks and government spending behavior in Iran," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1055-1069.
- Ziramba, Emmanuel, 2010. "Price and income elasticities of crude oil import demand in South Africa: A cointegration analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7844-7849, December.
- Ghosh, Sajal, 2011. "Examining crude oil price - Exchange rate nexus for India during the period of extreme oil price volatility," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(5), pages 1886-1889, May.
- Kang, Sang Hoon & Kang, Sang-Mok & Yoon, Seong-Min, 2009. "Forecasting volatility of crude oil markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 119-125, January.
- Hamilton, James D., 1996. "This is what happened to the oil price-macroeconomy relationship," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 215-220, October.
- Nomikos, Nikos K. & Pouliasis, Panos K., 2011. "Forecasting petroleum futures markets volatility: The role of regimes and market conditions," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 321-337, March.
- Lance J. Bachmeier & James M. Griffin, 2006. "Testing for Market Integration: Crude Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 55-72.
- He, Yanan & Wang, Shouyang & Lai, Kin Keung, 2010. "Global economic activity and crude oil prices: A cointegration analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 868-876, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49733. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.