Cointegration Analysis of Exports and Imports: The Case of Pakistan Economy
This paper analyzes the long run association between Pakistan’s exports and imports from 1972 to 2012. The results of both the Engle and Granger (1987) and Johansen (1991, 1995) cointegration reveal a long run relationship between the two variables. The error correction model results demonstrate that both of the variables converge towards long run equilibrium. This specifies the effectiveness of macrocosmic policies in stabilizing the international trade balance.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- M. Ali Kemal & Usman Qadir, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate, Exports, and Imports Movements: A Trivariate Analysis," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(2), pages 177-195.
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
- Husted, Steven, 1992. "The Emerging U.S. Current Account Deficit in the 1980s: A Cointegration Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 159-66, February.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- Mohammad Afzal, 2008. "Long-Run Relationship Between Imports And Exports: Evidence From Asian Countries," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 53(02), pages 261-278.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2011. "Are exports and imports cointegrated in India and China? An empirical analysis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 860-873.
- Manuchehr Irandoust & Johan Ericsson, 2004. "Are Imports and Exports Cointegrated? An International Comparison," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 49-64, 02.
- Nasim Shah Shirazi & Turkhan Ali Abdul Manap, 2004. "Exports and Economic Growth Nexus: The Case of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 563-581.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.